Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2014, 03:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Boiler Water Return Pipe & circulator

Hello,
The contractor installed the return piping and the circulator so close to the boiler door that it can only be opened about 2 to 3 inches. So I asked him how anyone is supposed to be able to open the door for maintenance cleaning. He stated that the door does not need to be opened as the cleaning of the boiler can be performed from the top. Then later on, I wondered how a serviceman can service the oil burner nozzle? Should I make him do this part of the job over to leave enough clearance for the boiler door to be opened? Your thoughts.

rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:44 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4

Yes. If the burner compartment can't be accessed for service. You'll end up with no heat, and a big bill to move the piping on a service call. And may have to wait a day or 2 before a service company would have the time to move the piping.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:43 AM   #3

Thanks,
I'll tell him I am not happy with it and tell him to change it.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #4

A manual should have been provided to you regarding maintenance and operation. Also there should be a installation manual with the dimension requirements top, sides , back and should show pictorial with the minimum requirements. All areas of the unit should be able to be accessed with out moving piping or wiring. Insist on changing it and finding another Contractor. I would never call him back for anything. If you get a hard time look up your unit on line and you should be able to index the information. YO, I am right around the corner from you.

Last edited by COLDIRON; 07-31-2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added text
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:33 PM   #5

What I need now is a professional opinion by an installer if the circulator and piping can be moved to clear the door. This morning, I noticed that the circulator pipe flange projects about 3 inches from left to right in front of the door and space is very limited on the left and front areas. The boiler is in an enclosed area that also serves as a utility closet with the boiler below it.
The contractor is my neighbor and I want to stay on good terms with him. I gave the job to him thinking he knew the installation procedure but he hired another who does.
Even though the space is limited, I do not think he tried hard enough to try differant fittings to work around the problem. The other contractor controled the installation and I do not know why he accepted my neighbors work.
So I think my best approach is to get an opinion first to see if there is a work around. Then if it can be solved, I will tell my neighbor to change it.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Post pics of the install.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:00 PM   #7

Here are some pictures. Upon taking another look at the space that is available, I realize there is room to move the circulator to the left about 2.5 to 3 inches and there is room also to move it forward away from the boiler door about 4.5 to 5 inches. Doing both should give enough clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Boiler Water Return Pipe & circulator-dscf0002.jpg   Boiler Water Return Pipe & circulator-dscf0003.jpg   Boiler Water Return Pipe & circulator-dscf0004.jpg   Boiler Water Return Pipe & circulator-dscf0005.jpg   Boiler Water Return Pipe & circulator-dscf0007.jpg  

Boiler Water Return Pipe & circulator-dscf0008.jpg  
Old 07-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

It should have been turned to the left, then a close nipple, and then a 90 ell up. This allows the combustion chamber door to be opened for cleaning, inspection.

Thee should also have been an isolation valve installed between the circulator and the boiler, for easier replacement of the circ if ever need be.
COLDIRON (08-01-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 08:35 PM   #9

I just hope he will relocate the circulator without any hard feelings. It was his mistake. He is 73 years old and I think he is starting to lose it. He does not see well and does not wear corrective lenses. When he and the other mechanic told me everything was set to go, I had my doubts because I wanted to make sure heat was reaching all the rooms. They were in a hurry to go somewhere else; so I tested the system the next day when the family left the house. The boiler got up to temperature but there was no circulation. When my neighbor saw this, he stated that it is circulating and to feel the return tubing just before the circulator and it was warm. But that was from conduction from water not going anywhere. I felt the return tubing further back stream and it was cold. he still insisted it was circulating. That's when I knew its time for my neighbor to retire completly. So I humored him and said I"ll check it later. The folowing day, I checked the two solinoid valve that work off of the thermostates and there is a lever on both set to "auto" position. They both are not working when there was a demand for circulation. So I moved one of the levers to "open" position with some effort and immediantly I heard and felt heat moving through the tubing to the downstairs rooms. I opened the other solinoid and it allowed heat to move upstairs. The solinoids are 24 volt operated and I think they are gummed up because it took some effort to move the levers to the "open position.
When I told my neighbor this, he said he will get the parts to rebuild the solinoids. I call them solinoids but they may go by another name.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Often referred to as power heads, or actuators.