Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Cool

boiler undersized? or oversized

Hi.Im having a problem heating my house.I keep the thermostat at 68,have a 1400 sq. ft. house with a crawl.I just received my gas bill 370 dollars and in real cold weather Im lucky to get it to 68. I have a hot water boiler, I believe its 140,000 btu. I recently got into the crawl to insulate the boiler pipes and found two heat runs dedicated to the crawl--one thirty feet long and one on the other side of the crawl fifty feet long plus I have one in the garage 10 feet long-thats more than I have in my house. My question is can I just shut a couple of these off? I have four return lines coming back to the location of the boiler that have there own shut off.These run into another pipe that runs into the boiler ,garage has a shut off but has epoxy tape on the shut off valve so you cant turn it off,pipes in the garage<watersoftner> previous froze. Can I just turn the valves off from the two feeds in the crawl and do I have to adjust the boiler to do this. Thanks for info I try do find things out on my own money is pretty tight and I just got laid off like thousands of other people.

drdon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Can I just turn the valves off from the two feeds in the crawl
Ayuh,... I imagine they'll Freeze,+ Burst if you do...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #3

Thats a lot of btu's fif it a total of 1400 sqft. You may have a problem with the boiler firing rate among other things. Eather the gas pressure needs to be checked or clock the meter to see what it is firing at.
JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #4

Sorry I dont know what clock the meter means. The unit low point is 130 degrees high point is 180. Should I have a service tech just remove the two feeds to the crawl. Ive lived in houses without heated crawls before,just let the water drip in cold weather.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #5

Befor we get into clocking the meter. Does the boiler maintain the 180deg water temp and still not heat the home. If you are maintaining 180deg you gas pressure is probly fine.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #6

I believe it does It kicks on at 130 heats up to 180 and then if the stat shuts off the furnace it"ll climb to 200 while its idle. The boiler seems to be working ok.I was just wondering if I could shut off the crawls 90 feet of heating element,without any problems.The house was built in 63 when gas was cheap and I guess they wanted warm floors, but ive got 90 feet of run in the crawl and ive only got 48 feet in the house.

Last edited by drdon51; 01-14-2009 at 03:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #7

You have to determon why the crawl heating was put in. could be to keep pipes from freezing or the warm the floors. possably the space above dosent have enough heating elements. Most crawl spaces are not heated. Someond did this for a reason.
Back to the water temp if you are not able to maintain a comfortable temp in the home that is directly related to water temp in the boiler. Wile the system is calling for heat and not able to keep the houde warm enough what water temp is the boiler maintaining.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #8

Well there lies the problem.If it gets to below zero outside my house wont heat up to over67 or 68 degrees.I was thinking if I could turn 0ff those two in the crawl Id have better recycle time on the hot water diverted to the house.Does this sound reasonable?
Old 01-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #9

That is what I am tring to determon. If durring the cold weather your boiler is able to maintain 180 deg. Removing the crawl heat will make no difference because you usually only need 180deg and you may already have it. that would tell me you need more radiators in the house. On the other side if you cannot maintain 180deg durring the cold weather your gas pressure may be low were removing the crawl heat may help but may not need to be done. The gas pressure can be adjusted to were it should be if it is low and all problems may be solved with that.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #10

clock the gas meter do this before disconecting the heat in the crawl.
http://www.bacharach-training.com/referpage/clocking_gas_meter.htm
Old 01-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #11

i think who ever installed that boiler was using the crawl to dump the excess heat of the over sizing.

What do you think John1?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #12

Thanks John I"ll check it out.I really appreciate your help.My brothers house is 2500 sq. ft and is on a slab same heating unit and his bill is $100 dollars less than mine
Old 01-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
i think who ever installed that boiler was using the crawl to dump the excess heat of the over sizing.

What do you think John1?

Could be. You would think if they were that smart enough to dump the heat they would have put in the correct boiler to begin with. Unless a Pro came in later to do. I know floors over some crawls are awfully cold on the toes. More so if they are not carpeted
Old 01-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 62

Is the floor over the crawl space insulated.

If not, then once you disable the heat in the crawl, you won't be able to heat your house right.

You can either, insulate the crawl space better, or insulate the floor.

You still might need to add some baseboard to teh first floor, once the crawl space heat is gone.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH1 View Post
Could be. You would think if they were that smart enough to dump the heat they would have put in the correct boiler to begin with. Unless a Pro came in later to do. I know floors over some crawls are awfully cold on the toes. More so if they are not carpeted

Forced air homes of 1000 sq ft sometimes have 125k furnaces cause that was all the hvac contractor had on hand. Could be the same for the boiler too.

I installed a humidifier once in a 1500 sq ft home that used the furnace to heat the main floor and and a 150k boiler to heat the basement and a small addition.. With the basement door open and the boiler firing it heated the home like a gravity furnace. The forced air furnace seldom cycled.
And he claimed to sell industrial boilers before retirement.

Ray Charles musta sized his home boiler for him