DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Boiler starts for 10 seconds, then shuts off

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  JohnH1 
#1 ·
Hi, we are having problems with our Peerless boiler. It worked fine all summer long til my husband shut it off to save on fuel. It starts up for 10 seconds and shuts off and won't restart, plus there is alot of rusty water underneath and around the boiler. What could be wrong with it?
Helen

#2 ·
Is this a steam boiler? If so it may be starting and then running untill the electronic low water cutt off shuts it down. The electronic Low water cutt offs have a timed delay in them. Do not operate the boiler further untill it is inspected by a pro. If it is steam it may need to be replaced. But I may be jumping the gun here also.

#4 ·
My biggest concern is the water on the floor. Is the boiler leaking from underneath or from the relief valve drop leg? IE: an open ended pipe pointing down at the floor. If the boiler is leaking it my be dripping near the pilot and if it is automatic ignition this could cause the short cycling

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.