Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #1

Share |

Boiler Size

I have a 3 Bedroom house with a soon to be finished basement I have had several different people tell me what kind of boiler I need some people say 75,000 BTU's some say 175,000 BTU's I am doing baseboard heat what size boiler do I really need?
Brilliantinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #2

Boiler Size

In my opinion, there are way too many variables, some very basic, which you have not included, such as square footage of home, location, age of home, quality of doors, windows, insulation, etc., to get a realistic estimate online. That said though, there are a lot of knowlegable people here, some of whom may be willing to give you an opinion, but, again, you are going to have to give then something to work with. For a purchase of this significance, you really should contact 3 qualified local heating and cooling contractors in your area, set appointments, and meet with each of them on an individual basis. I am sure that you will find a fair amount of consistency if you approach it this way, and through the process you will meet a representative of the company that you will feel comfortable in not only providing you with the best system, but also who will provide service after the sale, because a good system will provide you with many years of comfort. And keep in mind that the best deal is not necessarily the lowest price.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (11-18-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #3

Boiler Size

Post that up over here.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JackDidley For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (11-18-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #4

Boiler Size

I have a 3 Bedroom house roughly 1386 square feetwith a soon to be finished basement with an additional space of 686 square feet I have had several different people tell me what kind of boiler I need some people say 75,000 BTU's some say 175,000 BTU's I am doing baseboard heat what size boiler do I really need?
Old 11-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Boiler Size

I see you finally made it to the right forum.

Bud, google search "Heat Load". There is software that you can buy and plug in your own data but your best bet is to spend a little bit of money and hire a professional (experienced) hvac contractor/engineer to perform it for you on your home. How much heat you lose is how much you replace.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #6

Boiler Size

I had 3 different guys come in and look at I haven't moved in yet the house is well insulated the house is also 55 years old.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Boiler Size

Look at what? They're merely guessing. I'm not saying that they don't have experience in the area but it wouldn't matter if you had a hundred people come over and simply look. Without a heat load calculation performed on the structure (home) you will never know.

If you want it done right then that is what you do, no beating around the bush with it in any way.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Holliday For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-18-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #8

Boiler Size

Brilliantinc, please post same question in only one forum, I removed and merged for you- to this one, thank you, Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:38 AM   #9
REP

Boiler Size

Whatever size you end up with is the size you will be making monthly fuel bills on.
This isn't a game.Your house has a size needed just like you have a shoe size needed.
If you make a mistake now you will be paying for it for the next twenty years and we all know which way the cost of fuel is going.
Now the only way to do it is to find the size needed for your paticuliar home with what is called a manuel "J".This will be a room by room calculation that will lead you to a final output needed.Since each foot of baseboard produces a known btu per foot,you will know how much baseboard to put into each space.
Now here is some suggestions ;1) zone with circulators and make sure you valve off all components that you may have to replace for repair.A circulator may not cost you much to replace but if the service guy has to drain the system then refill it and bleed it,that will amount to a lot of money for labor.If everything is valved then the labor is almost nothing.2) install drain cocks on each zone to make filling and draining each zone quicker.3) Only use a Spirotherm air scoop.No other air scoop even comes close to the performance of a Spirovent system.4) make sure you get an outdoor reset control as it will save you thousands over the years.5) I totally reccomend an indirect water heater again properly valved.
Or you could just make a wild guess like you seem to want to..
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:20 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Boiler Size

The guys saying 75,000 are probably closer to what you need then the ones saying 175,000.

For 49 bucks, you can do your own load calc, and know what size you really need.
http://hvaccomputer.com/talkref.asp
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote