Boiler Sight Glas Replacement Problem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

boiler sight glas replacement problem

i have a very old burnham boiler probably original to the house from the 40's. it appears to be convertered from oil or coal to gas at some point.

anyway the sight glass got a crack in it in the spring and the shut off valves that the glass is between wouldnt budge so i had to shut the valve off the main water supply to the heater so the water would stop leaking on the floor

i just replaced the valves and sight glass , turned on the water supply and the sight glass is flling completely up with water and water is gushing out of the pressure relief valves on the the top of the water pipes

now what appears to be a simple job is turning into a nightmare

does anyone have any idea what i could have done wrong ? is there special way to fill the system back up that i should follow ?

i didnt get any paper work with the heater when i bought the house so i have pretty much nothing to go by

any ideas would be appreciated, my father usually deals with this heater but he is fightin cancer and i dont want to bother him with this problem if i can avoid it

thanks in advance


PontiacPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 34,604
Rewards Points: 8,194

Post pics of the boiler and the water supply line to it.


beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 615
Rewards Points: 500

Without seeing what is there makes guessing kinda hard to do.
I will say that you usually only see sight glasses on steam boilers.This is why you need a sight glass.
If that is the case there should be a rather large black valve attached to the water feed line and the boiler with pipe connections just ABOVE AND JUST BELOW WHERE THE WATER LINE SHOULD BE AT.The most common valve is a McDonald Miller valve possibly a model 47-2.This should shut the water off when the water gets in the middle of those two pipe connectors.
I have also seen way too many old steamers that are hand fed which is what you might have too.
Again need pictures.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New replacement windows got wet - Problem? scnd1016 Windows and Doors 1 07-10-2011 06:47 AM
Replace boiler coil Daniel Holzman Plumbing 2 11-26-2010 05:53 AM
latest problem...window replacement gone_fishing Remodeling 10 02-11-2008 08:24 AM
Corrosion problem in vent stack. sgbotsford HVAC 2 12-01-2007 02:47 PM
Steam boiler corrosion problem franklopes HVAC 4 11-09-2006 08:02 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1