Boiler Sight Glas Replacement Problem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

boiler sight glas replacement problem

i have a very old burnham boiler probably original to the house from the 40's. it appears to be convertered from oil or coal to gas at some point.

anyway the sight glass got a crack in it in the spring and the shut off valves that the glass is between wouldnt budge so i had to shut the valve off the main water supply to the heater so the water would stop leaking on the floor

i just replaced the valves and sight glass , turned on the water supply and the sight glass is flling completely up with water and water is gushing out of the pressure relief valves on the the top of the water pipes

now what appears to be a simple job is turning into a nightmare

does anyone have any idea what i could have done wrong ? is there special way to fill the system back up that i should follow ?

i didnt get any paper work with the heater when i bought the house so i have pretty much nothing to go by

any ideas would be appreciated, my father usually deals with this heater but he is fightin cancer and i dont want to bother him with this problem if i can avoid it

thanks in advance

Advertisement

PontiacPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,748

Post pics of the boiler and the water supply line to it.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
REP

Rewards Points: 500

Without seeing what is there makes guessing kinda hard to do.
I will say that you usually only see sight glasses on steam boilers.This is why you need a sight glass.
If that is the case there should be a rather large black valve attached to the water feed line and the boiler with pipe connections just ABOVE AND JUST BELOW WHERE THE WATER LINE SHOULD BE AT.The most common valve is a McDonald Miller valve possibly a model 47-2.This should shut the water off when the water gets in the middle of those two pipe connectors.
I have also seen way too many old steamers that are hand fed which is what you might have too.
Again need pictures.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote