Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Boiler replacement time...help!!

New guy from CT & have begun fixing up old (new) house & hope to move in before Winter. My existing oil fired Weil-Mclain boiler needs replacement. Can anybody help in deciding which brand to buy? I have quotes from Peerless, Buderus and Viessmann. Biasi?? I'm looking for efficiency & reliablity. I'm considering doing this swap myself. Any help or ideas are appreciated. I also want to add a Indirect water heater to new system as well. Maybe a site with reviews. Thanks for your help

hwinch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #2

I have had Viessmann boilers installed in many commercial applications and have never had a call back. I have read that heatinghelp.com say that Viessmann and Buderus are the highest rated. As with all products of this type it is wise to have a certified company install the unit OR at least make sure you have access to and read all the boiler installation manuals/instructions and install to the letter before you buy. You should also consider an oil fired CONDENSING boiler for highest efficiency. Boiler construction and venting materials are very important to avoid any possibility of corrosion from sulphur content in fuel. i.e., oil has sulphur in it and when condensed can form minor amounts of sulphuric acid therefore the heat exchanger and venting materials should be highly resistant to sulphuric acid e.g., stainless steel..do your homework..Also ..non condensing boilers usually are required to run at over 200 F minimum, resulting in high standby losses over summer months to satisfy only dom hot water demands...personally I would prefer to go with electric DHW tank. NOTE..every boiler may have different circulation, piping and venting and minimum temperature requirements to meet warranty and prevent thermal shock/excess corrosion. DO YOUR HOMEWORK..check out websites and call the sales and service reps for each manufacturer and ask them any questions regarding your concerns.

techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to techpappy For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (09-20-2012), hwinch5 (09-20-2012), orange (09-21-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 12

been using weil- mclain and burnham for 30+ yrs.....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #4

Dear Sir:
Could you give me some help with boiler installation. Based on your posts you are an expert on boiler installation. I purchased a Weil=Mcclain boiler, WYGO-4. When I tried to install it I noticed one of the hot water outlet is not threaded, just a steel pipe, while the other hot water return is threaded. Is this normal? Why did Weil=Mcclain thread the hot water outlet? Or they forgot to thread the outlet? Or this is supposed to be like this. I mean I have to thread the outlet myself if I want to install it. I am completely confused here. don't know what to do?
Thank you for your help.
yi
helpme2013 is offline   Reply With Quote