Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Boiler questions

I have a Solaia SLD4100 3-pass cast iron boiler with a Riello BF5 burner and a 40 gal. Boilermate indirect water storage tank. I have an Electronic Aquastat made by Honeywell part # L7224/L7248. Not sure which one I have as yet. It was installed 3/08.

My home runs 2 heat zones and one for domestic hot water. The house is just over 2000 sq.ft. My co-worker installed and planned out the boiler parts to work together. He said this thing is a rapid cycle setup, but it seems at times to run too long or go on and off too much.
I have an electronic t-stat for the main (ground) floor, and when this thing reaches temp or shows that it is the set temp, the boiler still continues to run in heating cycle.

Plus, when the boiler itself goes down below a certain temp (sometimes not too far down) the thing kicks on again and runs til it's near the 180* setting. I want to lower that Aquastat a bit, and maybe tweak a couple settings. This co-worker of mine is kind of a deadbeat, or else I'd ask him to do it.
The Aquastat has 3 soft-touch buttons on the right side of the circuit board. I think these can lower the boiler temp, and otherwise tweak its operational parameters.

Lastly, my barometric damper slams each time the boiler goes off. The chimney stack (ultratemp pipe) is brand new. These mechanicals are in the center of my house making this racket-Can I eliminate, upgrade, change, or modify this damper? Thank you all!

mudpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 70

Boiler questions

Have a tech come ouot and set up the boiler.
If your "friend" is a "deadbeat", its doubtfull he used a combustion kit to set up the burner. And that would be why the barometric is slamming.

The Reillo can't be set up properly by eyeball.
Hopefully, he didn't oversize your system too bad.

While the tech is there, he can help you set the water temps.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #3

Boiler questions

what exactly is a "combustion kit"?
mudpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:21 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 70

Boiler questions

Its a combustion analyzer.
Weather its digital, or chemical, doesn't matter much.

Its used to set up the burner to burn the oil as complete as possible. And as cleanly as practical.

Bacharach, Testo, UEI, TSI are just a few of teh manufacturers of them.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #5

Boiler questions

Consult an oil tech. Check with your oil company, and ask around for a good tech. Burner settings could not be to the manufacturers settings. With the installation of a new system there should always be an efficiency test and other test done with the analyzer. A tech should have all of the appropriate equipment to do the required tests. Hopefully the problem is something simple and your "deadbeat" co-worker didn't send you in the wrong direction.

Get a professional in there to check it out.

Mike
www.HiTechHeat.com
HiTechHeat is offline   Reply With Quote