Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #1

Share |

boiler problems

Hi everyone, I've been checking around for a solution to my problems and found this site so I joined up.

I've got a year old Super Hot boiler with baseboard radiators in my house, just long enough to be out of warranty. The first thing the installer told me after the install was that one of my zones was not working and the line was plugged. Great! No explanation why everything was working fine before the installation. Then they tell me that they don't do repairs to anything other than the boiler itself, so I'm on my own.

So over the course of the last few months I've been slowly going through the lines and found that the plugged area was in the polyurethane line that runs under the cement floor in the basement from the zone valve to a copper line that runs up the wall into the first baseboard radiator. I spent all day today trying to clear it and have managed to get 1/2 a cup of rust and metal flakes out of the line.

I've isolated a 30 foot section and have tried air pressure both ways trying to get it open without luck. A plumbing snake goes part way and then comes to a dead stop.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to clear the line short of tearing up the floor and jackhammering the cement slab?

sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

boiler problems

Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions on how to clear the line short of tearing up the floor and jackhammering the cement slab?
Ayuh,... I'd abandon it, 'n run a new line whereever necessary to get where it's gotta go...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

boiler problems

Vinegar.

Or, a vacuum on one end, and slight pressure on the other end.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #4

boiler problems

After playing around with the lines a bit more tonight, I've got the basement zone flowing pretty good, got a cup of junk out of the tubing.

Still no luck on the other zone so I put in a bypass copper tubing section and everything is working except for the first radiator. It looks like I'm going to have to tear out sections of the wall around the house and run a copper pipe through the studs to the first radiator. Definitely not looking forward to this.

Before I do that, I'm going to try the vacuum trick that beenthere has suggested. Just have to make up a adapter to my Mityvac.

Thanks for the replies.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote