Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #1

Share |

Boiler not lighting

I have a Utica boiler that does not light. When I call for heat the electronic ignition clicks then lights the pilot light. No more then a second or two the pilot light goes out and never lights the burners. I have to shut it off then back on and the same thing happens again. Anyone have any guesses? Thank you much.

Beronicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Boiler not lighting

Clean the flame sensor.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #3

Boiler not lighting

Is the flame sensor the same as a rollout switch? I had a boiler guy come look at it and he seemed to think it was the gas valve. He was going to have to order the part so I wanted to see what you all thought first. Thanks again.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Retired Electrician

Boiler not lighting

check flame sensor first
fy171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #5

Boiler not lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beronicles View Post
Is the flame sensor the same as a rollout switch?
The flame sensor is a thin metal wire that will be in the path of the pilot flame. It will have a ceramic sleeve around it where it mounts in the assembly. There will be a lone wire coming from it going down to the control board. Sometimes these can be gently pulled out of the assembly to clean them. A scotchbrite pad or steel wool is recomended to clean them. In a pinch I have used a dollar bill to clean them.

A rollout switch is a round button like device about the size of a nickel with two wires attached to it or it will look look similar to that with a "U" shaped wire sticking up from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beronicles View Post
I had a boiler guy come look at it and he seemed to think it was the gas valve. He was going to have to order the part so I wanted to see what you all thought first. Thanks again.
I think your boiler guy needs to get some training
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #6

Boiler not lighting

Ok I pulled out the flame sensor and cleaned it up real good. No cracks or anything in the ceramic sleeve. (I thought that was just the igniter) The furnace does the same thing where the pilot light comes on for just about a second or two then goes back out. There is no strong smell of gas so I am thinking that the burners never get gas to them. Unfortunately I am thinking the valve is the next thing to be replaced. Any more suggestions before I commit? Thanks again everyone for all the insight.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #7

Boiler not lighting

When the pilot lights, is the flame sensor in the pilot flame real good? The flame has to be touching the probe in order for it to work. Also, Check the connection on the board and make sure it is clean and tight.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #8

Boiler not lighting

look to see that you have a good pilot and that it is hitting flame sensor....clean pilot tube and orifice ..retry...ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Boiler not lighting

Check your grounds.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote