Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #16
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,529
Share |
Default

Boiler not filling


Bladder may be bad.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #17
Hvac Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 9,051
Default

Boiler not filling


Go to HDepot and for $25 you can get a powerful halogen construction work light (yellow with stand) as we need LOTS more lighting and detail to help you.
__________________
"Cut it twice and it is still too short".
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Boiler not filling


So am I right though? The bottom half of the expansion tank should be very warm if it's functioning properly? After work tonight I'm planning on draining the system and getting a pressure read on the expansion tank. Hopefully I can just swap out a tank, or correct the pressure on this one if it's off.
andrewhharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #19
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 3,673
Default

Boiler not filling


Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhharmon View Post
So am I right though? The bottom half of the expansion tank should be very warm if it's functioning properly? After work tonight I'm planning on draining the system and getting a pressure read on the expansion tank. Hopefully I can just swap out a tank, or correct the pressure on this one if it's off.
Ayuh,... The way your's is plumbed, yes, the bottom will have water in it, 'n air at the top...
No need to pull the tank to check/ set the pressure...
There's a schrader valve under that little blue cap...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Boiler not filling


Ok, took the best video I could. Not great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeM1b...e_gdata_player

Again I'm assuming it's the expansion tank. I check the pressure with a tire gauge and it didn't even move the gauge. I know that tool isn't very sensitive, but it should have registered 12psi.

What are my next steps to troubleshoot the tank?

Thanks.
andrewhharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #21
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,529
Default

Boiler not filling


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... The way your's is plumbed, yes, the bottom will have water in it, 'n air at the top...
No need to pull the tank to check/ set the pressure...
There's a schrader valve under that little blue cap...
Pressure can't be set with it attached to/subject to system pressure.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:00 AM   #22
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,529
Default

Boiler not filling


Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhharmon View Post
Ok, took the best video I could. Not great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeM1b...e_gdata_player

Again I'm assuming it's the expansion tank. I check the pressure with a tire gauge and it didn't even move the gauge. I know that tool isn't very sensitive, but it should have registered 12psi.

What are my next steps to troubleshoot the tank?

Thanks.
Get new tank. Yours is too old to mess with.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
backflow valve, boiler, fill valve, hvac


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low water cutoff keeps shutting boiler off dolfish HVAC 7 12-06-2010 04:26 PM
I Need a New Boiler. What do i need to know New Boiler Co Plumbing 0 10-23-2010 06:03 PM
Burnham boiler banging/thumping noises quadradeuce HVAC 6 10-02-2010 09:55 PM
Oversized boiler solution (radiant heat)? gbwillner HVAC 5 02-14-2010 06:28 PM
Boiler w. Hydronic Air & Honeywell Aquastat DanA28 HVAC 1 01-08-2009 04:21 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.