Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Boiler Low Water Cut-off

I have Smith GB200 Gas fired Steam boiler with a CycleGard CG 400P low water cut-off controler. The CG400 shuts the boiler off to check the water level for about 90 seconds, the green LED light comes on indicating it is checking. After the green LED light goes off, after the 90 seconds, it takes the boiler a good 2 minutes to come back on, shouldn't it come on almost immediately after the green LED light comes off.

mike1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Boiler Low Water Cut-off

This may or may not be a normal condition. Are you having any other problems did it run differently before or are you noticing something for the first time?
http://www.hydrolevel.com/pages/products04a.html It appears most of there models have a 15 second delay for probe proving. Also avail is a probe +30 second delay to help a self filling system achieve its leaval. You boiler itself very likely has a delay and proving system. two minutes seems like a reasonable time for a cycle of proving. Mach damage and wear and tear can happen to a unit the is short cycled. I am not a expert in this area maybe some one else can give more in site on it but it doesn't necessarily seem broken.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #3

Boiler Low Water Cut-off

This does not have a self filling system. I'm didn't really pay attention to this before until recently when I replaced my thermostat. I have a similar Smith boiler but Oil fired with turns the boiler right after.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Boiler Low Water Cut-off

set the amp setting on the new therostat.take the cover off and you'll see a little dial with different settings check the amp of the gas valve.I think i'm right because if the amp isn't set right it will cause the heater to short cycle.
imported_harryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #5

Boiler Low Water Cut-off

I figured it out. I happens the thermostat was being powered by the boiler's 24VAC and the battery was backup. Anytime the LWCO shuts the boiler off it also cuts the power to the thermostat. The termostat then switches to battery backup but it takes a couple of minutes to do this. I just disconnected the 24VAC supply to have the thermostat only operate on batter power.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Boiler Low Water Cut-off

the purpose of the 24v is so the battery recharges,but what ever works for you.thanks for letting me know how you made out.

imported_harryo is offline   Reply With Quote