Boiler Goes Thru Its Normal Start Up But Wont Fire - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

boiler goes thru its normal start up but wont fire

can anyone help me out with this boiler goes thru its normal start up but doesnt fire. have plenty of oil i opened the inspection cover and there is oil in the fire box but doesnt fire?

Advertisement

abazzanosr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,494

Oil in the combustion chamber that hasn't been burned, will make for lots of smoke in the house, to say the least.

Could be the nozzle is spraying a bad pattern, or that the ignition transformer is bad. or the electrodes out of adjustment, or carboned up.

Might want a fire extinguisher beside you when you try to run it again. Oil can go boom.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,542

yes oil will go boom..be very careful with fuel in the chamber if small spark happens boom in chamber as beenthere said and i agree ignition transformer may not be working common problem. some oil burnners have fuse link ?? some carbon up again common problem ...how old is furnace and what make???
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,044

Open up chamber and light a piece of paper and burn the unburnt oil laying in there before troubleshooting. Only press red reset button once if it don't fire call for service do not keep pushing the reset I know from experience I'm still cleaning soot and smoke out of my eyes,nose, ears, mouth 40 years later. You need to check the oil pressure and spark.
COLDIRON is online now   Reply With Quote