Boiler / Control Valve Problem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Boiler / Control valve problem

I have had an ongoing problem that I am stumped with. I have a Valiant gas fired, hot water radiator, cold boiler with 2 zones operated by one Taco 007 pump and two Taco 570 series zone valves. Both zone valves operate properly 95% of the time. Then there are the times when one calls for heat and the other does not but both run. When this happens I physically close a ball valve so I do not waste money. I have replaced one of the Taco heads because the small blob on the switch had broken off so the contact was not working. The other looks to be ok, blob is fine, wax solidifies when not calling for heat. I looked at the way Taco says 2 zones should be wired but mine looks nothing like this. Before I go tearing it apart and really muffing things up I want to get other opinions.

If you tell me how to post pics I have sketched out the wiring and have pics of the controls.

Thanks
Scott

Advertisement

spb180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by spb180 View Post

I looked at the way Taco says 2 zones should be wired but mine looks nothing like this.
Before I go tearing it apart...

If you tell me how to post pics I have sketched out the wiring and have pics of the controls.
Press the "QUOTE" button below.
In the next window look for the paperclip icon.
Press it. Then follow the prompts.

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,386

apb180, welcome to the forum. You may get better results if you ask this in the hvac forum. Maybe a moderator will repost your question for you. They will do it for you. Thanks.

Post some pics when you can. As far as posting pics, many different ways you can do it. Click on quote button, click the insert image icon. Hold your mouse over it till you find the right one, or go to manage attachments in additional options follow prompts and add your pic. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 02-12-2014 at 08:01 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,386

Quote:
Originally Posted by spb180 View Post
[FONT=Times New Roman]I have had an ongoing problem that I am stumped with. I have a Valiant gas fired, hot water radiator, cold boiler with 2 zones operated by one Taco 007 pump and two Taco 570 series zone valves. Both zone valves operate properly 95% of the time. Then there are the times when one calls for heat and the other does not but both run. When this happens I physically close a ball valve so I do not waste money. I have replaced one of the Taco heads because the small blob on the switch had broken off so the contact was not working. The other looks to be ok, blob is fine, wax solidifies when not calling for heat. I looked at the way Taco says 2 zones should be wired but mine looks nothing like this. Before I go tearing it apart and really muffing things up I want to get other opinions.
There are different ways to plumb and wire your situation. You simply may be missing or not have the right zone switching relay or you have a switch going bad. Just a guess at this point.

Before you go taking things apart, post pics of everything and start there. Stay tuned, best to wait for beenthere or yuri to respond. They are busy, please give them time to respond. Thanks. Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you. Hope you get your system working the way you want and save money.

Last edited by jmon; 02-12-2014 at 08:39 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,682

Yep, post pic, or post a description of how they are wired.