Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #1

Share |

Boiler Charge

New Years day I awoke to the heat on my first floor not working. I called a heating company and a technician came out telling me that my flow valve was junked. He didn't have the part and could come and replace it the next day. I said ok.

After he left, I made some other calls and found someone who had the part. He came out and found out the valve was working properly, and that I had a frozen pipe.

Later, I called the first company and told them I would not need them to come out the next morning because I found someone else to fix the real problem. The women I spoke with said, "no problem" just pay the $190 for the service call.

Now, my question is: Is $190 a fair price for someone coming to my house on a holiday, spending 20 minutes at my house and misdiagnosing the problem?

cody0405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #2

Boiler Charge

It very well could be. You did call them to come out and check on a holiday. Did you know their rates prior to them coming out or did you get the rates in writing what it would be? I'm not saying you should not pay them but I would argue with them about the tech not diagnosing your correct problem and he would have done a more work for you that you didn't need the next day.

Plumbvoltage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #3

Boiler Charge

Yep it is plenty fair.

He came out on a holiday and you oked the repair. He left assuming he would collect the service call when he returned with the part . He showed god will by not collecting up front. I f you did not want to wait 'til the next day you should have just told the guy not to come out.. But he is entitled to the $195 for sure and no it is not excessive for a holiday. He lived up to his end by diagnosing the problem. You played the villain by taking the info the tech gave you to go behind his back and make other arrangements.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #4

Boiler Charge

He did not diagnose the problem though. He told me it was something else. If I had stayed with the original guy, he would of fixed a part that was working fine and I would of had to pay for it. How is this fair?
Old 01-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #5

Boiler Charge

I did not know their rate prior to them coming. I probably should of asked. The gentelman that came and fixed the problem charged me 1/2 that for the first hour. I called the first company to agrue that nothing was fixed and it was misdiagnosed. I was hung up on.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #6

Boiler Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody0405 View Post
He did not diagnose the problem though. He told me it was something else. If I had stayed with the original guy, he would of fixed a part that was working fine and I would of had to pay for it. How is this fair?

And how do you think that pipe became frozen? The boiler had to stop heating to get cold enough to freeze. That means a part failed. It's not improbable that the other guy just melted the ice and didn't do a deep enough check up cause it was a holiday.

I don't think you are being 100% forthcoming and just may be looking for an out on the service call.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #7

Boiler Charge

The pipe became frozen due to a draft coming in from the outside. The part that was originally diagnosed as faulty, was never replaced. The second technician unfroze the pipe, and now I have heat. Problem fixed.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #8

Boiler Charge

Quote:
I did not know their rate prior to them coming. I probably should of asked. The gentelman that came and fixed the problem charged me 1/2 that for the first hour. I called the first company to agrue that nothing was fixed and it was misdiagnosed. I was hung up on.
I would argue with you too. This ain't rocket science to know that something HAD to go wrong for the boiler to stop working for the pipe to freeze in the first place.

You don't strike me as a special needs person so I guess a simple deductive process should be easy enough to follow. Now on the other hand if you have a case of buyer's remorse it would behoove you to play dumb and act like you have been taken advantage of.

We Pros deal with this type of situation more times than we like to. So it gets pretty easy to spot a the questionable ones after a while,
Old 01-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #9

Boiler Charge

Quote:
The pipe became frozen due to a draft coming in from the outside. The part that was originally diagnosed as faulty, was never replaced. The second technician unfroze the pipe, and now I have heat. Problem fixed.
You could just be saying that because you could not find validation for your complaint here. Parts can fail intermittently and this might be a possibility with your system.

How does a draft come in from out side to get a pipe cold enough to freeze on a working boiler unless you have a window open?
Old 01-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #10

Boiler Charge

Listen, I am not trying to get out of paying a bill. I am trying to find out what is fair.

The thermostast downstairs is in the same room as the fireplace (which was burning 8-10 hours). Due to that, the heat never turned on. Apparantly, I have a 2-3 inch gap between my house and foundation. The temp that night was -20 degrees. Because of the cold and the gap that I have, it froze the pipe in that area.

I have nothing to gain by giving misleading information on this site. All I am asking is it fair to pay such a high price for services that were incorrect?
Old 01-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #11

Boiler Charge

Yeah it's fair. Just pay the man.

if this gap existed before than you would have known about it. Something that wide is grounds for vacating the home until repairs can be made as it is a possible foundation defect.
How long do you admit to knowing about the gap?
What did you do when you found out about the gap you allege not to be aware of?

Last edited by hvaclover; 01-02-2009 at 12:52 PM.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #12

Boiler Charge

You keep dancing around the issue about my problem being misdiagnosed. Obviously you are in the same profession.

So let me ask you this, would you pay your auto mechanic for something being replaced that was working perfectly fine?
Old 01-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #13

Boiler Charge

Quote:
You keep dancing around the issue about my problem being misdiagnosed. Obviously you are in the same profession.

So let me ask you this, would you pay your auto mechanic for something being replaced that was working perfectly fine?

I am saying your problem was not misdiagnosed. I am a pro. You think I would speak this authoritatively if I weren't?
I am saying you are not coming across fully because you want to use this forum as a possible out for paying the charge. And I say that because the facts favor the first tech.

You knew it was a holiday but you didn't think to ask what it would cost for the initial call? You tell the tech you can wait 'til the next day but jump on the phone as soon as he leaves looking for a deal. You don't garner any credibility by those action and then lying.

I can't think of how you can compare a boiler to a car repair. They are not even close in similarity of operation.

But rest assured I ask what costs are up front on any service I have performed. If i don't feel comfortable with the person or I think i can get better service else where I will. I don't just blindly call a company to do a repair and complain about it after.

next time ask the cost and ask what the likelihood of the part being on the tech's truck is.

Last edited by hvaclover; 01-02-2009 at 01:34 PM.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #14

Boiler Charge

Answer me this then Pro: If I was not misdiagnosed, then how do you explain that after my pipe was unfroze, my heat worked properly again? And remember, the first tech said it was my flow valve. Flow valve was never replaced.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #15

Boiler Charge

Quote:
Answer me this then Pro: If I was not misdiagnosed, then how do you explain that after my pipe was unfroze, my heat worked properly again? And remember, the first tech said it was my flow valve. Flow valve was never replaced.
It stuck. When the pipe was thawed the it started working again. Like i said intermittent operation. It can stick again any time soon or you can go thru the whole winter with out a problem.

Don't forget a boiler on stand by still keeps the water hot ready for a call for heat.

Now answer me how long you knew about the gap in the foundation?