Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #1

Share |

Boiler btu

Hello,
I think I will need to replace my oil fired boiler. It was recommended by a service techician. I want to do a search on cost of a new boiler with a tankless heater or a boiler with an indirect water heater. But first I need to identify the btu imput or output of my boiler.

I looked at the metal decal with numbers stamped on it and this is what I can make out:
Heating capacity 86 MBH
Heating capacity water 114 MBH. (what is mbh?)

This is a Weil Mclain oil fired boiler model # P-368-V-WT.
Maximum water pressure is 30 psi.
There is also another set of letters and numbers that are much bigger. It reads CP 1706377.

I assume this boiler is only 22 years old because I have a copy of a permit application to replace the boiler, dated Sept. 1989 that the previous owner of the property gave me.

rjordan393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Experienced

Boiler btu

MBH = Thousand BTU's per Hour

Would be surprised if that boiler really needs to be replaced, I have always read that Weil Mclain boilers were one of the best.

Mark

Old 12-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #3

Boiler btu

Thanks,
Thats what I heard too. A technician raised the water pressure to 20 psi from almost zero but the next day I checked it and it looks like theres only 2 to 4 lbs on the reading after the boiler shuts down. It must have leaked. I think this is the reason why I am getting poor performance. The hot water supply comes direct drom the boiler and sometimes we get poor performance for that too.
To have enough hot water to take a shower, I have to place the temperature settings at 170 low and 200 high.
My nephew inlaw said the hot water sometimes takes a long time to reach upstairs. There is an additional thermostat on the second floor to control the heat for the rooms but the tech. said we do not have a true 2 zone system. Another technician said that the coils may need to be cleaned but the problem is that by taking apart the necessary components, breakage may occur because of the corrosion or rust on them and then I would need another boiler installed.
Your thoughts?
rjordan393 is offline   Reply With Quote