Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #1

Share |

Blower Works Once, then Quits

The blower wasn't working yesterday, so I checked the circuit breakers. They were all fine, but I flipped the breakers for the furnace and the heat pump anyway. About 30 seconds later, the blower came back on. Once the temperature gets up to the level set on the thermostat, everything turns off properly, but then the blower doesn't turn back on.

Any ideas what's wrong and what I can do to fix it?

Scottie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #2

Update:

When the thermostat calls for heat, the burner comes on and stays on for maybe a minute or so. Towards the end of that minute, I can hear what I think is the blower trying to come on (electric buzzing), but the fan never turns. Then the burner turns off. (a safety feature?)

Update 2:

Now the blower is working just fine, which is good, but I worried it'll crap out on me again.

A couple nights ago, the air coming from the vents was very stale smelling, enough to wake me up. Could this be related? I've checked the filter and it didn't seem too dirty, and I replace it once every couple of months in the winter anyway. I'm totally baffled by this.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #3

"I'm totally baffled by this"

Well, if you are then there's a good chance we are too. Help the pros out here by filling in the details of what you've got, when you got it, model number, fuel source etc and save everyone's time.

I'm not a pro -and this bugs me...imagine how the pros feel, having to give you free advice while having to waste their time asking you what you've got. Don't know how they do it. Does eveyone just assume we know what heating system you have amongst the millions out there???
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #4

I'll have to get back to you on the make and model; I'm not at home right now. I have a gas burner in the furnace and a solid-state programmable thermostat. Everything is original from when the townhouse was built in 1985, afaik.

Please let me know if there's any other information I can provide. Since I'm new to this site, I don't know what your expectations are, and I thought I had provided enough information. I'll try to be more clear in future posts.

Tags
blower