Blower Won't Turn On In AUTO - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

blower won't turn on in AUTO

hey i'm pretty new on here and am having some trouble getting my heater going in my trailer. i have electric heat in it, and everything seems to work fine as far as producing heat, but my blower won't turn on when its in AUTO. i can turn the switch to ON and it works fine. i don't think its the thermostat cause calls for the heat, and you can here it calling to turn the blower on but it won't start up.

does anyone know what would cause this? i can't figure it out. oh, and the thermostat is a two-wire deal, so the fan switch and heat/cool switch are on the unit itself...

Advertisement

nhpick02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #2

does this sound like it could be a relay? please help me if anyone knows what it could be keeping the blower from turning on in AUTO

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2008, 04:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I don't know much about an electrical heater but it may have similar control devices as a gas heater. Like it may take a few minutes to warm up then a snap disk temperature switch sends power to the blower relay.
Check out Grainger, HVAC, snap disk thermostats or thermodisk. see what they look like and see if you can find any on your heater. LOL
jehiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:06 PM   #4

i don't think there is anything like that on mine. Its a Nordyne unit and i didn't see anything like that in the wiring diagram. also, i've given the blower plenty of time to kick on. i can hear something happening, but it just won't come on...
Old 11-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

That was fast. Send me a diagram. something ain't right. All I got today is wild turkey and time to surf!
jim@jimhiatt.com
jehiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:28 PM   #6

ok...go to this site: http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/medi...yne/901698.pdf

mine is figure 15. the two-wire relay box.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Look at the sequencer that turns on the elements. The switch that turns on the first element also turns on the blower motor. That one usually goes bad.
hoistdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:25 AM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoistdoctor View Post
Look at the sequencer that turns on the elements. The switch that turns on the first element also turns on the blower motor. That one usually goes bad.
What he said.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:01 AM   #9

ok is the sequencer found in the relay box on the front of the unit? the relay box has the fan switch, the heat/cool switch, and some relays. but i'm not sure what you mean by the sequencer. do you have any idea what it looks like or where it can be found at?
Old 11-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

It will be where the terminals of the elements are found. If you trace the wiring, one terminal of the elements will go to a sequencer switch and the other will go to an overtemp switch, then to a breaker terminal. The sequencer is an assembly of warp switches that sequence in the elements. It is turned on by your thermostat at 24 volts. You might think it is a relay with many wires going to it.
hoistdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #11

k so I replaced the sequencer and the fan relay and my furnace is still doing the same thing...now I'm really lost dies anybody have any suggestions? Do the limit switches have anything to do with the fan turning on in auto? Or could I have a blown fuse? Please help if anybody hasvany idea!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:59 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Could have a bad limit.
Need a meter to test them.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:30 PM   #13

ok i'm confused cause i measured the voltages on the transformer and one side is showing 124 volts and the other side is reading 0. Is this normal cause i though the other side would be reading 24 volts or so. Oh and one more thing. I put the air conditioning on to see if the blower would kick on with the a/c running and it did kick on, in auto. Does that help narrow it down to anything else. I tried to check the limits and they all read 124 volts or so and all the poles at all times...is that normal or is there another way i should be checking them?
Old 12-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Well, you not using your meter right.
Or you would have gotten a reading of 24 volts or so from the other side of the transformer.
The blower wouldn't run in A/C mode if the transformer wasn't outputing voltage.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #15

ok so i'll assume that the transformers are ok since everything worked in A/C mode. now i'm just trying to figure out what to check now. i guess i could go ahead and replace the limit switches but i'm afraid to waste more money if thats not the culprit. what about the motor itself? does the heat and a/c both use the same speed on the motor or does one use a high speed and the other a low speed? i'm just curious if of those is messed up...

Advertisement