Blower Trouble - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Blower trouble

Hello,

I have a Goodman PHKJ030-1 package unit heat pump. The blower motor and capacitor were replaced about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. System is 10-12 years old.

A couple of months ago I started having intermittent trouble with the blower not coming on, but the problem was infrequent. Then it got to the point where it wouldn't come on at all. (compressor is working properly)

Here's what I've done so far:

- Tuesday evening: 5 MFD capactior was reading 4.7, replaced it - blower started fine.
- Wednesday evening: Blower dead again. At the t-stat, switched system to "off" and blower to "on". No luck.
- Several hours later, with the t-stat still at system "off" and fan "on", the blower decided to finally spin up.

Any idea on what could be wrong? DOA capacitor? Something in the system frying the capacitor?

Advertisement

thisrandomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Blower trouble

I'm assuming you have a test meter as you had gotten the 4.7 mfd reading on the cap. Do the basics: Check the connections to make sure that there is actually current going to both legs of the motor. Spin the motor to make sure the bearings are free. Carefully check to see that the motor is not excessively hot. An infrared thermometer is best for that test. I believe there are separate contactors for the compressor and the indoor blower on that model. I also believe that the indoor blower contactor is what is called a "single break" i.e. there are 4 terminals but one set is directly connected and the second set is where the contact is made and broken. Use the diagram and find it and check it's general condition. If the area around the contactor bar in the center is all burned and pitted it is very likely the culprit. Make sure there is no debris or dead bugs under the bar. DON'T TRY TO CLEAN IT WITH THE BREAKER ON!Energize the blower, make sure that the contactor bar pulls in then, while it is energized put your test leads on the terminals in parallel with that circuit and take a reading. You should get zero volts in that circuit. If you get any voltage at all the contactor is bad and should be replaced. Don't overthink this, it is nothing more than a switch, the power comes in on one end and goes out on the other any voltage across those terminals means current is being lost. Replace it whether it solves the problem or not. You can also try taking an amp reading of the L1 Black lead but that isn't really conclusive. Good Luck.

Advertisement

GarryE is offline   Reply With Quote