DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Blower over amping

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
my furnace has an ECM blower motor which has worked flawlessly for five years. Recently, in cooling, it has displayed an error message (over amping) in second stage (4 tons).

Nothing has changed--using Aprilaire 201 filters. Even changing to a fresh filter hasn't changed anything. I'm thinking that this is NOT due to a failure of the motor's control module since reducing cooling CFM by 200 deletes the error state.

This leads me to believe that somehow, static pressure has increased. The only possibility might be that insulation (cased coil) has come loose and is blocking part of the coil.

Has anyone come across this situation? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

V

#5 ·
I would expect lower amps when reducing air flow. (usually those control boards only calculate cfm, they don't actually measure cfm directly. The expensive versions measure static pressure and try to maintain a certain value, where the cheaper ones just run to a specific rpm.

Is this an attic unit? Any ducts loose / disconnected / broken / etc?

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.