Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #31
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31
Share |
Default

Blower Motor Wiring reversed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
that silver covered HONEYWELL is the fan/hi limit for the heating side...i got it .......they wired the hi speed into the heat limiter and the low speed into that black relay.test this shut the stat off system and fan in auto...go down pull that silver cover and turn it clock wise and tell use what speed the fan comes on.like i said the ON/AUTO on the subbase is cooling fan control only the heat "high limit" and fan on/off are threw that silver limit control during the winter..the speed wires have to be backwards....are the round fins on the fan squirrel clean of dirt dust crap run your index finger along them
OK, Pulled the aluminum Honeywell cover off. See pic below. Ok, what settings/test am I shooting for? Also, per your instructions, on the thermostat I've turned it to "Off" and the Fan setting is on "Auto". Correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Blower Motor Wiring reversed?-honeywell.jpg  

HVACMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #32
Member
 
biggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,600
Default

Blower Motor Wiring reversed?


turn that dial slowly till the fan comes on i think it should without a heat call from the board if not the test is aced...won't prove to me that your wired for HI speed in the heating mode...this Honeywell limiter is 100% for the heating side of the unit doesn't even have any stat connections ..this is why you can check the fan from the stat with fan ON in the heating mode the closure on those 2 red wires is fan ON as the dial heats up and the metal pig tail in the burner chamber expands and turns the dial to 150F
biggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #33
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31
Default

Blower Motor Wiring reversed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
turn that dial slowly till the fan comes on i think it should without a heat call from the board if not the test is aced...won't prove to me that your wired for HI speed in the heating mode...this Honeywell limiter is 100% for the heating side of the unit doesn't even have any stat connections ..this is why you can check the fan from the stat with fan ON in the heating mode the closure on those 2 red wires is fan ON as the dial heats up and the metal pig tail in the burner chamber expands and turns the dial to 150F
I appreciate all the help you given and will try this out when I return. If the fan does turn on, what do I do next? Leave it as is, will it affect heating come winter?
TIA, Ron
HVACMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #34
Member
 
biggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,600
Default

Blower Motor Wiring reversed?


i need you to tell us if it is high speed when you turn that dial CW...should be LOW to LOW MED..but definitly different air amounts
biggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #35
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31
Default

Blower Motor Wiring reversed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
i need you to tell us if it is high speed when you turn that dial CW...should be LOW to LOW MED..but definitly different air amounts
I was able finally able to do a quick test. (Btw, Yesterday, I discovered the downstairs A/C (a completely separate unit) blower motor died! I've got it on order soon to replace it.)

I did the changes as you suggested above and no difference. Same amount of air moving out as indicated by the streamers attached to the vents.
HVACMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #36
Member
 
biggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,600
Default

Blower Motor Wiring reversed?


OK so the unit is wired for Lo speed in the heating side with that...so now you have 2 sepreated air handlers both with heating and cooling?????this is why contractors bang $$$$ homeowners you live in the house they don't
biggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #37
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 729
Default

Blower Motor Wiring reversed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles
OK so the unit is wired for Lo speed in the heating side with that...so now you have 2 sepreated air handlers both with heating and cooling?????this is why contractors bang $$$$ homeowners you live in the house they don't
I think he has two floors.
Don't worry commercial gets banged far worse than homeowners.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #38
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31
Default

Blower Motor Wiring reversed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles
OK so the unit is wired for Lo speed in the heating side with that...so now you have 2 sepreated air handlers both with heating and cooling?????this is why contractors bang $$$$ homeowners you live in the house they don't
It gets worse, two water heaters. Up/downstairs. Btw, Up stairs a/c unit is on it's last legs, nearly 20 yrs old, Ruud 2.5t. The other is 12 yr old rheem 3.5t. What's best, replace both w/ 6t unit?
HVACMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:54 AM   #39
Member
 
newtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 245
Default

Blower Motor Wiring reversed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACMac View Post
It gets worse, two water heaters. Up/downstairs. Btw, Up stairs a/c unit is on it's last legs, nearly 20 yrs old, Ruud 2.5t. The other is 12 yr old rheem 3.5t. What's best, replace both w/ 6t unit?
I would stay with 2 separate units.. Did you check the duct work for leaks???

If you rotated the dial on the fan and limit switch, you may have messed up the sensing element, which it will need to be replaced. That is why is says DO NOT rotate on the dial..
newtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #40
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31
Default

Blower Motor Wiring reversed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by newtech View Post
I would stay with 2 separate units.. Did you check the duct work for leaks???

If you rotated the dial on the fan and limit switch, you may have messed up the sensing element, which it will need to be replaced. That is why is says DO NOT rotate on the dial..
Damn, I hope not! I saw that "caution" notice. I would think it wouldn't be so sensitive. AM hoping there should be some leeway. Will this, if damaged, show up only when heater is used? I don't want to burn my house down. I'll back-off on my DIY, until I hire qualified pro. Thank you for the input.
HVACMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #41
Member
 
newtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 245
Default

Blower Motor Wiring reversed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACMac View Post
Damn, I hope not! I saw that "caution" notice. I would think it wouldn't be so sensitive. AM hoping there should be some leeway. Will this, if damaged, show up only when heater is used? I don't want to burn my house down. I'll back-off on my DIY, until I hire qualified pro. Thank you for the input.
I would have a pro check it out before the heating season and before you use the heat for the first time. The directions clearly state to hold the dial when adjusting the set points so it does not rotate.

It is a Fan and LIMIT control... I would be worried that the limit part of it got messed up...

I would have advised you earlier, but, I saw it too late.


New
newtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #42
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31
Default

Blower Motor Wiring reversed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by newtech View Post
I would have a pro check it out before the heating season and before you use the heat for the first time. The directions clearly state to hold the dial when adjusting the set points so it does not rotate.

It is a Fan and LIMIT control... I would be worried that the limit part of it got messed up...

I would have advised you earlier, but, I saw it too late.


New
Better late than never, I should have been a tad more patient. I didn't see anyone pop up with any caution and I failed to ask, (even though that question was right there at the tip of my finger tips. I went ahead and turned. Ultimately, my fault. Like they say: DYODD!! A lesson has been served. Who knows, you may have saved me and my family from true misery and/or tragedy. THANK YOU!
Ron
HVACMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #43
Member
 
biggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,600
Default

Blower Motor Wiring reversed?


one short fan test on that dial isn't going to cause any damage to it if you turned it to trip the gas cycle to check the hi limit maybe..why you scaring this guy into checking his fire insurance....
biggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #44
Member
 
newtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 245
Default

Blower Motor Wiring reversed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
why you scaring this guy into checking his fire insurance....
Because you gave him the wrong advise...

It doesn't matter if you turned it once or twice.. You are not supposed to..

Why would you advise someone to do it......

The install manual clearly states " DO NOT TURN THE DIAL "

I guess you know better than the MFG of the part it states not to rotate it

Last edited by newtech; 08-17-2011 at 05:12 PM.
newtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #45
Member
 
newtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 245
Default

Blower Motor Wiring reversed?


[QUOTE=biggles;709462one short fan test on that dial isn't going to cause any damage to it ]

Are you willing to back up that statement .

If it fails


Last edited by newtech; 08-17-2011 at 05:25 PM.
newtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bryant Plus 90 - No Blower Ducaticorse HVAC 11 10-16-2012 08:39 PM
Blower cycling and vibration whatshappening HVAC 1 02-09-2010 04:48 AM
Trane Furnace Blower Running Nearly Continuously stephensandlin HVAC 3 01-03-2010 01:21 AM
Carrier 58MXA Wiring Blower Switch 63012753 HVAC 0 10-06-2009 09:09 PM
AC blower short cycling-works on heat though Steve60007 HVAC 14 06-22-2009 04:00 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.