DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Blower Motor Replacement Wiring

6K views 30 replies 6 participants last post by  Missouri Bound 
#1 ·
Good Evening,

I've tried looking for an answer but nothing seems quite right... long story very short is the blower motor on my air handler was replaced. It was hard wired so when the breaker is on the fan is on and AC works great... except the motor never turns off... the unit outside cycles on and off by temperature just fine.

I'm 99% sure that the wiring is incorrect but when I tried to figure it out nothing happens.

I've attached pictures of the current connection set up. And the relay diagram. Hopefully that will be helpful.

AO Smith Motor 9687

Motor (7 wires)------------------------------Relay (5 Wires)------------------------------To Circuit Breaker (2 Wires)
1. Brown
2. Brown White
*Browns are connected to capacitor

3. Green grounding wire
*connected where it was before

4. White------------------------------------------1. White---------------------------------------------1. White
*all whites connected together

5. Black (high)-----------------------------------2. Black---------------------------------------------2. Black
*Black from relay is in the set of black & white not the black in the set of black/red/yellow

6. Red (low) Currently capped
7. Blue (Med) Currently capped
_______________________________________3. Black Currently Capped
_______________________________________4. Red Currently Capped
_______________________________________5. Yellow Currently Capped never used

I tried connecting the blue from the motor to the red on the relay and the black from the motor to the black in the red/yellow/black set on the relay. The fan failed to turn on at all when turning the thermostat to cool and fan in either auto or on.

Any thoughts on where I'm going wrong with the wiring? I'd like to avoid calling a new person in.

Thank you in advance for any assistance or thoughts.
Tara

Attachments

See less See more
#26 ·
The red of the relay connects to the black from the breaker. The black of the motor connects to the black from the relay that was not originally used.

Good chance the relay is not working, and that is why it was bypassed.

Reactions: taram
#27 ·
the only wire that is connected from the motor is that BLACK to the relays either wire.the YELLOW out of the relay is the other side of the N.O/N.C relay..your using N.O red/black...OK the 2 yellow out of the TR are the 24vs to the strip there....just because the relay clicks doesn't mean it is closing,wire the motor as told THRU the relay power in/motor out BLACK then jump C to G on that strip.the relay might click motor should take off....remembering the relay is rated for the motor amperage and contacts might be shot even though you have action....abandone relay in place add a general purpose...local GRAINGER http://www.bestbuyheatingandaircond...Category_Code=r-furnace&Product_Code=REL90123

#7 · (Edited)
that relay on the plate is looking to break the motor power on one side feeding the motor.the power 115V for the motor isn't being suppiled out of the relay it is being broken when the relay opens:huh: that red/black out of the relay needs to be tied to the motor BLACK then the other to the hot coming into the unit ...relay closes motor runs.your looking for hi speed for AC make sure you have 24Vs on those 2 yellows with the power on but no calling for cooling.

#8 ·
that relay on the plate is looking to break the motor power on one side feeding the motor.the power for the motor isn't being suppiled out of the relay:huh: that red/black out of the relay needs to be tied to the motor BLACK then the other to the hot coming into the unit ...relay closes motor runs.your looking for hi speed for AC make sure you have 24Vs on those 2 yellows with the power on but no calling for cooling.
Ya... I know there's no power coming from the relay... all the blacks are connected right now which means I'm using the breaker switch to turn on the blower... I figured that much out...

So what I just read is that the black from the motor needs to be connected to the red and black wires in the group of red/black/yellow from the relay. The other black on the relay remains connected to the black to the breaker.

That means the blue and red from the motor stay capped and not used?

The yellow on the relay has never been used... I saw that was capped when this all started...

Thanks!

#11 ·
Impossible... at least for me... I tried to put the camera in the space between the wall and the motor but I'm not sure there is a schematic there...

it's an A.O. Smith Model 9687... or F48V56A01... I think they changed the model number because when I put that in to search 9687 comes back and is the same thing.

The link to the motor description is:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...tt=f48v56a01&N=0&GlobalSearch=true&sst=subset

Not sure if that will help... from memory I know that it said on the label that

Red = Low
Blue = Med
Black = High

That left the two browns for the capacitor and a green & white...

Does that help at all?

Thanks!
Tara

#14 ·
The relay has no power....it's a switch. If it clicks it "probably" works. And that diagram is for a motor different than what is now being used. You need to supply power to the relay, and then from the relay to the motor. From what I see power would go to the red, then from the relay black lead, to the motor. The other motor leads are capped. White is neutral, green is ground and red and blue remain capped. The brown are correct for the capacitor. Using the red or blue instead of the black would just run the motor at a different speed. See if you can find the schematic online for the motor somewhere.

#18 ·
L1 and L2 supply power to the relay control board, that's all. Motor power must be derived from another source. The relay control JUST switches it. The black and red leads are that switch. That yellow taped wire is not used (careful, it is energized when power is applied to the red wire) Taram...are you over your head in this one?

#21 ·
Part of the problem is that the wires which are currently supplying the blower need to be relocated. Can you take any pictures which show all the wiring? I see everything disconnected...where are the wires which come into the unit itself..can you show that?
:yes:

#22 ·
OK... new pic attached...

I'm not sure I understand why the wires need to be relocated... This is exactly how it was before the motor was replaced... in terms of the wires... just not how they are connected... ugh The boyfriend didn't take a picture and then couldn't make it work except to connect the power for the motor (black) to the main power connections and now is travelling. So that's why I'm sure it's how it's wired and not the motor... it works great if I use the breaker to control the on/off.

I'd prefer not to have to manage the a/c this weekend with the breaker but I can. Temps are supposed to approach 100 (blech). So yes, I may be out of my depth... I can connect the wires... thought maybe it was a simple thing... if not, then I will have someone come out next week.

New pictures attached... I do appreciate the time.... :)
Cheers
Tara

Attachments

#23 ·
The main power to the blower should be switched by the relay. I can't be sure from the picture, but are there 3 wires under that wire nut? I'd bet that only one connection would need to be changed to make it work properly. But from the pictures I'ts hard for me to tell what goes where. The wire which now goes to the blower (not the white) needs to go to the red wire on the relay, and the black wire from the relay needs to go to the blower.

#24 ·
I'm not sure which wire nut you mean... There are three white wires in one nut... the blower white... the relay white... and the white to the circuit breaker...

The other wire to the blower... would be the group of three for speed... red/blue/black... that is currently connected to the relay with the red and black... so also 3 in one wire nut...

Is the main power the white or same one that determines speed?

I'm still looking for a motor diagram... but it seems simple... one from the speed group... the white... ground with the green and the capacitor...

and that works if I connect one from the speed group to the black from the breaker... but not when I connect it to either the red, black, or red & black together on the relay...

Is that useful?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.