Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Blower Motor Replacement Wiring

Good Evening,

I've tried looking for an answer but nothing seems quite right... long story very short is the blower motor on my air handler was replaced. It was hard wired so when the breaker is on the fan is on and AC works great... except the motor never turns off... the unit outside cycles on and off by temperature just fine.

I'm 99% sure that the wiring is incorrect but when I tried to figure it out nothing happens.

I've attached pictures of the current connection set up. And the relay diagram. Hopefully that will be helpful.

AO Smith Motor 9687

Motor (7 wires)------------------------------Relay (5 Wires)------------------------------To Circuit Breaker (2 Wires)
1. Brown
2. Brown White
*Browns are connected to capacitor

3. Green grounding wire
*connected where it was before

4. White------------------------------------------1. White---------------------------------------------1. White
*all whites connected together

5. Black (high)-----------------------------------2. Black---------------------------------------------2. Black
*Black from relay is in the set of black & white not the black in the set of black/red/yellow

6. Red (low) Currently capped
7. Blue (Med) Currently capped
_______________________________________3. Black Currently Capped
_______________________________________4. Red Currently Capped
_______________________________________5. Yellow Currently Capped never used

I tried connecting the blue from the motor to the red on the relay and the black from the motor to the black in the red/yellow/black set on the relay. The fan failed to turn on at all when turning the thermostat to cool and fan in either auto or on.

Any thoughts on where I'm going wrong with the wiring? I'd like to avoid calling a new person in.

Thank you in advance for any assistance or thoughts.
Tara
Attached Thumbnails
Blower Motor Replacement Wiring-2012-07-13-16.00.37.jpg   Blower Motor Replacement Wiring-2012-07-13-15.58.26.jpg  

taram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

you have the electric schematic in from of you....

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.

Last edited by JJboy; 07-13-2012 at 08:16 PM.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJboy View Post
you have the electric schematic in from of you....
I posted what I have... it's in the other room so I have access if you can give me a better idea of what an electric schematic is...

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Taram...that little drawing on the silver box with all the screws is the diagram. (simple talk) If you could enlarge that drawing we may be able to tell you what goes where.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #5

You need a multimeter that's it.
Attached Thumbnails
Blower Motor Replacement Wiring-2012-07-13-16.00.37.jpg  

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Taram...that little drawing on the silver box with all the screws is the diagram. (simple talk) If you could enlarge that drawing we may be able to tell you what goes where.

Got it... I had to make it smaller to upload it... I took a new pic on my camera but still had to reduce the file size... let me know if that's any better... It's the "relay new" file.

Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails
Blower Motor Replacement Wiring-relay-new.jpg  
Old 07-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #7

that relay on the plate is looking to break the motor power on one side feeding the motor.the power 115V for the motor isn't being suppiled out of the relay it is being broken when the relay opens that red/black out of the relay needs to be tied to the motor BLACK then the other to the hot coming into the unit ...relay closes motor runs.your looking for hi speed for AC make sure you have 24Vs on those 2 yellows with the power on but no calling for cooling.

Last edited by biggles; 07-13-2012 at 08:56 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
that relay on the plate is looking to break the motor power on one side feeding the motor.the power for the motor isn't being suppiled out of the relay that red/black out of the relay needs to be tied to the motor BLACK then the other to the hot coming into the unit ...relay closes motor runs.your looking for hi speed for AC make sure you have 24Vs on those 2 yellows with the power on but no calling for cooling.
Ya... I know there's no power coming from the relay... all the blacks are connected right now which means I'm using the breaker switch to turn on the blower... I figured that much out...

So what I just read is that the black from the motor needs to be connected to the red and black wires in the group of red/black/yellow from the relay. The other black on the relay remains connected to the black to the breaker.

That means the blue and red from the motor stay capped and not used?

The yellow on the relay has never been used... I saw that was capped when this all started...

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by taram View Post
Got it... I had to make it smaller to upload it... I took a new pic on my camera but still had to reduce the file size... let me know if that's any better... It's the "relay new" file.

Thank you!!

Looks like you need to connect Red with Red and Black to Black.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #10

I don't suppose you have a schematic for the motor...probably on the motor and hard to get to.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
I don't suppose you have a schematic for the motor...probably on the motor and hard to get to.
Impossible... at least for me... I tried to put the camera in the space between the wall and the motor but I'm not sure there is a schematic there...

it's an A.O. Smith Model 9687... or F48V56A01... I think they changed the model number because when I put that in to search 9687 comes back and is the same thing.

The link to the motor description is:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...rue&sst=subset

Not sure if that will help... from memory I know that it said on the label that

Red = Low
Blue = Med
Black = High

That left the two browns for the capacitor and a green & white...

Does that help at all?

Thanks!
Tara
Old 07-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJboy View Post
Looks like you need to connect Red with Red and Black to Black.
OK... tried that... the fan doesn't go on at all... which kind of made sense since the red from the motor is medium and the black is high speed... so I don't think the connection ever works...
Old 07-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by taram View Post

So what I just read is that the black from the motor needs to be connected to the red and black wires in the group of red/black/yellow from the relay. The other black on the relay remains connected to the black to the breaker.

OK... black from motor to black & red on relay... I heard it click like it wanted to turn on but the motor didn't come on...

Do relays go bad?

Thanks!!
Tara
Old 07-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #14

The relay has no power....it's a switch. If it clicks it "probably" works. And that diagram is for a motor different than what is now being used. You need to supply power to the relay, and then from the relay to the motor. From what I see power would go to the red, then from the relay black lead, to the motor. The other motor leads are capped. White is neutral, green is ground and red and blue remain capped. The brown are correct for the capacitor. Using the red or blue instead of the black would just run the motor at a different speed. See if you can find the schematic online for the motor somewhere.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #15

I don't see where is the L1 and L2 to power the blower motor/relay.