Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
DIY Apprentice

Share |

Blower motor going bad?

Alright so here's the problem. Just purchased a house, installed new thermostat (old one was busted to hell) and for a few minutes the blower would not come on.

Made sure it was wired correctly, made sure the A/C was on, next step was on to the air handler. I live in Florida so A/C here especially in the summer is a MUST.

Anyways so i open the air handler and hear a humming noise coming from the blower motor. So long story short, i took my screwdriver and started to spin the blower, after doing that the motor took off and everything started working fine.

So for now i have my thermostat set to have the "fan" constant ON instead of auto until i can figure out the problem.

Does this mean my motor has gone bad and i need a new one? That's my assumption because it seems to me like the fan has worn out enough to where it can't start itself but with a little help it can get in the motion of thing....

But then again, i'm no A/C guy so i just want to make sure before i buy a new motor.

It's a Trane
model number: twg048a140b1
manufactured: 2000

If you guys need any more information let me know, i'll take some pictures, whatever you need.

Also, anybody know where i could get a cheap blower motor? I just closed on the house on Friday so my funds are pretty low...still need A/C though.

Thanks!

Last edited by tripflex; 10-02-2009 at 07:41 AM.
tripflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #2

Blower motor going bad?

I'm no pro but a new capacitor may be all you need. Be careful when removing it (shut power off to unit); discharge the terminals of the capacitor by shorting them with a screwdriver blade (capacitors store electricity).
Random site selected from googel search with a bit more explanation:
http://www.arnoldservice.com/air_conditioning_parts.htm
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
DIY Apprentice

Blower motor going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
I'm no pro but a new capacitor may be all you need. Be careful when removing it (shut power off to unit); discharge the terminals of the capacitor by shorting them with a screwdriver blade (capacitors store electricity).
Random site selected from googel search with a bit more explanation:
http://www.arnoldservice.com/air_conditioning_parts.htm

ohhhh let's hope so! I'd much rather purchase another capacitor than a new motor! From all the reading ive done on the internet it sounds like that might be the problem if the capacitor that i saw in there is the "starter" capacitor ... which i guess is in some units to help start motors that need more power to startup?

Hopefully that's it because it runs perfect after i give it a little help to start. hmm....now the question is where can i locally find a capacitor
Old 09-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #4

Blower motor going bad?

Yikes is right. Looks like that is a 200-230v 1phase 3 speed motor. Grainger has one (4MB12 for $424.00), but it is being phased out, and I do not see a replacement at this time. Not sure what other pricing you have seen.
TJ_in_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
DIY Apprentice

Blower motor going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_in_IL View Post
Yikes is right. Looks like that is a 200-230v 1phase 3 speed motor. Grainger has one (4MB12 for $424.00), but it is being phased out, and I do not see a replacement at this time. Not sure what other pricing you have seen.

Ahhhhh! Don't scare me like that! How did you find out what type of motor it is? I've tried searching on google and the likes to try and find what type of motor i would have to replace it with...

thanks!

Help us help you by posting pictures with your question!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #6

Blower motor going bad?

I searched out "American Standard TWG Blower Motor" and found documentation for the motor specs. I then used Grainger's Motor Match program (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...tml?type=motor) to find a match. You may want to check sizes and mounting for the motor to confirm it is a match.

TJ

BTW... Looks like AO has discontinued the unit, and by checking stock w/ Grainger, there seems to be about 30-40 of them still available, at this time.

Last edited by TJ_in_IL; 09-28-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #7

Blower motor going bad?

What are the voltage and µF ratings on the cap? Try Digi-key, Allied, Jameco, Mouser, Hosfelt.

If there is a capacitor manuf. name or symbol on the cap you maybe can get one from them. If they think you are an inventor making a prototype they may send you a free sample.

In a pinch you can cobble together several more easily available bipolar caps in parallel to total your necessary capacitance.

Almost certainly it is the cap but you can easily measure it with a 9v battery, a voltmeter and a 1 megohm resistor from Radio Shack.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 09-28-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #8

Blower motor going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
Almost certainly it is the cap but you can easily measure it with a 9v battery, a voltmeter and a 1 megohm resistor from Radio Shack.

I agree that a cap is the most likely cuprit but I don't agree with his sources of supply.

Take the cap down to your local HVAC supply house and they will match it up for you. (ex: Johnstone Supply, United Refrigeration, Grainger)

If they can't match it then get an Amrad Turbo cap and jumper it to the capacitance value you need.

Hopefully the old cap is marked or you have a schematic for the system.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #9

Blower motor going bad?

If nothing local, might try:
http://www.arnoldservice.com/run_capacitors.htm
Let us know how it comes out.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
DIY Apprentice

Blower motor going bad?

Thanks for all the input guys, left for work at 6am this morning so it was too dark in my garage to take a picture, when i get home today i will pull open the air handler, take some pictures and figure out what capacitor it is....

I'm hoping we might have one of those caps at work, we use them a lot for power supplies for traffic control devices, i will let you guys know this afternoon what i found out.

Again, thanks for the help!

Old 09-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #11

Blower motor going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripflex View Post
Again, thanks for the help!
Also check what tolerance:
+50%, -10%,
+/-20%,
whatever.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
DIY Apprentice

Blower motor going bad?

http://www.shortyspumps.com/index.ph...roducts_id=111

That would be the exact one right there, i'm gonna check grainger tomorrow and if they have a similar one, if not i'll just order that one and hope it works!

Old 09-30-2009, 10:37 PM   #13

Blower motor going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripflex View Post
http://www.shortyspumps.com/index.ph...roducts_id=111

That would be the exact one right there, i'm gonna check grainger tomorrow and if they have a similar one, if not i'll just order that one and hope it works!
I am pretty sure that this is the replacement: 2MDV8.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2MDV8

You may want to call and double check.

TJ
Old 10-01-2009, 07:38 AM   #14
DIY Apprentice

Blower motor going bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_in_IL View Post
I am pretty sure that this is the replacement: 2MDV8.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2MDV8

You may want to call and double check.

TJ

Awesome, you're the man. Just called, they have 2 in stock and i'm gonna go get one now! I'll let you guys know if it works!