Blower Keeps Shutting Off - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Blower Keeps Shutting Off

Greetings, All.

I have a new-to-me home that's about 24 years old (bought it less than a year ago) with a forced air heat / AC system. Last summer / fall, there were no issues with the AC (other than it being pretty undersized for the home and not being able to truly cool the living space) and the winter was fine with heat. In the last few days, I've encountered a problem with the AC (since it's finally warm enough to use it).

When the AC was first turned on a couple of weeks ago, it ran fine for the couple of days that it was used. Now, the blower fan will start up with the system and then seemingly randomly shut off. The compressor continues to operate, and there was plenty of condensation from a cold coil that wasn't getting any air across it.

I switched the fan on last night at the air handler (override to manual mode) and let it run for over 20 minutes. This was with the thermostat off. I switched it back to auto mode and switched the thermostat to COOL. Everything came on, but the blower stopped again within about five minutes and there was no air moving through the registers.

When I bought the house, I installed a ten year old (ish) LUX 1500 programmable thermostat in place of the Honeywell non-programmable. As a troubleshooting step, I switched back to the Honeywell, and the symptoms are the same.

I was thinking that there may be an issue with the CAP on the motor, but wasn't sure why the blower would operate "fine" with the thermostat off.

ANY troubleshooting suggestions are welcome. I own (and know how to use) a variety of tools, including a multi-meter.

TIA!!!

Advertisement

meburdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 738

Post the brand name and model and serial # of the furnace.

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

ThermoPride / Thermo Products
Model OH11-105DA
Serial AN87280(D)

Incidentally - It has been running correctly for about 30 hours now. But, who knows what it will do next and when it will stop completely.
meburdick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blower fan stops