I have an issue with my fireplace blower. It's not your typical fireplace blower.... The house has a walk-around fireplace with ducting built into the brickwork in the chimney with a blower mounted under the house. It really cranks out the heat-- when it works.
The blower is a 115 volt squirrel cage assembly adapted from a furnace. Last night it let the smoke out and got really hot so I knew it was time for a new one.
I had a complete, nearly identical, squirrel cage assembly in an old furnace so I went to changing it out today. Here's where I get confused.
Old blower had 3 wires- black, white, green... simple. New blower has 3 wires- black, white, red. This had me confuesed, but I figured it was a 2 speed motor with no ground wire.. it has a ground going from the motor to the housing.
Anyway, started messing around with the wiring on the new motor and it turns the same speed (slow) no matter how I hook it up-- black or red to line. Is this one a 230 volt motor? I also wondered if it might need black and red hooked to line to get high speed? But I've never seen one like that. Naturally it has no tags or ID info.
Oh, and neither of these motors had capacitors, now or ever before, as best as I can tell.