Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #1

Share |

Blocking Wall Registers

Hello,
I have a bit of an odd situation. I look after a disabled individual who lives in the basement suite of my home and is prescribed medical marijuana.

It is used three times a day and during that usage i can really smell it in the main area of the house. It is used in a single room with a window fan running. But I can still smell it. I have put filters on all of the vents from the forced air furnace.

I have traced the smell to two large wall registers (one on the main floor & one on the second floor). It seems the furnace blower is pushing up the air with the smell through these vents.

I have put filters on them as well...but that stuff stinks it's way through. What would the ramifications be if I block both wall registers?

I am in a newer home (4 years old) with a gas furnace.

Thanks for your help.

byrons30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
DIY Enthusiast

Blocking Wall Registers

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrons30
Hello,
I have a bit of an odd situation. I look after a disabled individual who lives in the basement suite of my home and is prescribed medical marijuana.

It is used three times a day and during that usage i can really smell it in the main area of the house. It is used in a single room with a window fan running. But I can still smell it. I have put filters on all of the vents from the forced air furnace.

I have traced the smell to two large wall registers (one on the main floor & one on the second floor). It seems the furnace blower is pushing up the air with the smell through these vents.

I have put filters on them as well...but that stuff stinks it's way through. What would the ramifications be if I block both wall registers?

I am in a newer home (4 years old) with a gas furnace.

Thanks for your help.
You ARE talking about registers and not vents?
Normally registers suck air out of the room they don't blow air into the room.
If it is registers,they sell register covers that are magnetic. You can put them over the registers when the HVAC system is not in use.

sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #3

Blocking Wall Registers

Make him toke outside.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobelectric For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (10-12-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #4

Blocking Wall Registers

I would make him go outside...except he is disabled and very painful to move much. So makes things difficult for him.

I am attaching a picture of the register/vent. There is cool air blowing out of it so I am not sure if it is referred to as a register or a vent. Regardless...just want to know if I can block them both?

Thanks again for the help...
Attached Thumbnails
Blocking Wall Registers-img_0338-copy.jpg  
Old 10-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
DIY Enthusiast

Blocking Wall Registers

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrons30
I would make him go outside...except he is disabled and very painful to move much. So makes things difficult for him.

I am attaching a picture of the register/vent. There is cool air blowing out of it so I am not sure if it is referred to as a register or a vent. Regardless...just want to know if I can block them both?

Thanks again for the help...
That appears to be a register.
Again,if it's metal there are magnetic covers that are sold to cover it. Another option is a fragrance pad that u can attach to the filter for the HVAC. Sold at HD.
That may help.
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #6

Blocking Wall Registers

Thanks so much for the info...I just didn't want to cause an issue with the furnace by blocking these. They are plastic and I have charcoal filters in them already...doesn't seem to do the trick.
I think just blocking will be best...
Thank you for taking the time.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:05 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Blocking Wall Registers

Its a return grille. Don't block it. Does the room he is in have a similar one. if so, block that one off.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #8

Blocking Wall Registers

okay...i'll take a look and get back later. thanks