Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
pjm

Share |

Bleeding air from a hot water boiler

I had my boiler replaced this summer and now that I fired it up for the winter it seems I have some air in the lines. I hear water trickeling in the baseboard when it calls for heat I'm assuming this is air in the lines. I still get heat on both floors it's just noisy. It's worse on the second floor than the first, but it's on both levels. I have a bleeder valve on the second floor as well as two in the basement for the first floor so I'm hoping to be able to get the air out. I just want to know the proper way to do it without screwing up the system. Should I bleed the valves with the system on? I checked the valve on the second floor, but only water came out so I closed it, but this was with the system off. Any help would be great as I would rather not call the plumber.

Thanks in advance.

pjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #2

Bleed every bleeder starting at the bottom. Make sure that you allow for water to flow for a little bit before shutting it off.

When you do this make sure the boiler is off since you don't want to get any burns.

You should have an air scoop to get most of this air out automatically.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
pjm

Can you let me know what an air scoop looks like so I can see if I have one? Or is it an internal part?

I'll try to bleed it some more this weekend.

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
Can you let me know what an air scoop looks like so I can see if I have one? Or is it an internal part?

I'll try to bleed it some more this weekend.

Thanks.
Here is a link of air scoops.

http://www.pexsupply.com/CategoryPre...D=310&brandid=
Old 10-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
pjm

Would these be around the boiler? Returns or feeds? I'll take a look when I get home, but I don't recall anything that looks like those.

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Would these be around the boiler? Returns or feeds? I'll take a look when I get home, but I don't recall anything that looks like those.

Thanks.
They should be between the output of the boiler and the pump.

If you just had your boiler replaced I am sure they would have told you about these if you didn't have one and needed one. But then again I know how sometimes humans can be lazy.

The scoop will keep air out of the line and air will rust any ferrous components. Bleeding might do the job but there is always a place where there is a little air can hide and then move through the system. This will require some more bleeding. The air scoop will get out this little bit of air once you do the major bleeding.

If your system if metal (copper, galvanized) then you are less likely to need a scoop. If you have any pex you should have an air scoop.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:59 AM   #7
pjm

It's all copper tubing no pex at all. I'll check for the scoop and try to bleed the system this weekend. One more question when bleeding how much water should I take out? Should I close the valve once water comes out? This is what happened when I checked the upstairs valve so I thought the air was gone, but when I started the boiler it was trickling again. Can I empty out a pail or two of water without a problem until I can get the air to move to where the valve is?

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:22 AM   #8

Quote:
It's all copper tubing no pex at all. I'll check for the scoop and try to bleed the system this weekend. One more question when bleeding how much water should I take out? Should I close the valve once water comes out? This is what happened when I checked the upstairs valve so I thought the air was gone, but when I started the boiler it was trickling again. Can I empty out a pail or two of water without a problem until I can get the air to move to where the valve is?

Thanks again for all your help.
It should have a clear stream of water with no spitting.

Then once you atart up the system air will find it's way to the top again and you will have to bleed it again. With the air scoop this is not necessary and it will get all the little bit of air out for you. But if you don't have one this is the only way you can go.