Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #1

Share |

Black pipe inside to Outdoor BBQ?

I am having my furnace replaced and perhaps the water heater reposotioned 6" or so. I assume this will be done with new flex copper from the existing black pipe at the ceiling. Aside from local codes, are there standard diameters for copper from black for:

1.Water Heater
2 Furnace H/E

and balck pipe extension for
3. NG BBQ adapter

I am wondering about practricality of reusing the existing black drop from the furnace to extend 6' past the new furnace and then add a coupler to head back outside for the BBQ rather than spend extra $ on special flex to extend the run for the new BBQ hookup.

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Do you ever grill in the fall, winter or spring.

If so, you may need a whole new gas line to handle all 3 appliances.

The gas line is sized by how many CF it has to carry, and how long of a run it is. Starting from the meter.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #3

I had a customer a few year ago who ran a line to his BBQ. All was well for a few months then he got a gas bill over $200 in the summer.

This is where I come in he called and asked me to check for gas leaks. I spent the better part of an hour checking all the lines I suspected that the leak was outside as no one said they smelled gas. I was baffled no leak could be found then the ho told me a funny story about how his old grill blew up (you would think he would have mentioned this earlier) and he had to go out and buy this new grill.

Bottom line be sure to turn of the gas at a ball valve and not just the grill knob. If you have kids you may want the shut off out of reach.

Final thought why connect the water heater with copper hard pipe it and be done. As for standard pipe size, no it is based on length and BTU consumption.

Last edited by Dr Heat; 01-23-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Dr Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #4

Ok,maybe this will help. I am assuming flex copper will be used for new furnace. If heater is shifted to accomodate new furnace it may be re run with flex???? Not certain, but currently heater rests 1" off an uninsulted wall and its about -15 today so I though I would make space to insulate and have it moved while the furnace is being done.

Main line is 1 1/4" OD, runs in 24" then splits toward water heater and furnace which sit 12" apart

1. Water heater, 45,000 BTU, 3/4 " line starts 24" in from meter branching off main line and runs another 9' to heater valve

2. Furnace, new one will be 80,000 BTU .This line runs 8' along basement ceiling from entry point, at elbow reduces to 1" . Furnace line runs 8' further in total across and down to floor.

3.Dual burner BBQ is 50,000 BTU, used mostly in summer. Currently located 8' past elbow to furnace. Might use it 8-10 times max between November and April.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #5

I do not have a chart but I would say you should have no problem. Run 3/4 to about 2" or so from grill then 1/2 or what ever the bbq valve is.

I would recommend hard piping the furnace and water heater it is code in my area. You can use yellow jacket or similar products but black is cheaper.
Dr Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:40 AM   #6

That was pretty much my thinking. These guys scrapped my neighbour's black pipe on his new furnace and used copper flex possibly for ease of handling. They're younger guys , may not be experienced in black pie or just saving time with the flex.
But I figure why not save the black if it works right for the extension rather than paying extra for the new yellow jacket. So I may have an extra 8-10' or more of blackand I understand the yellow jacket is pricey. I can drill and core through the outer brick, etc.to set up for the BBQ, but I think I want a gas fitter to inspect it for safety and likely require one.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:02 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Make sure you make the hole big enough for the code required sleeve for the wall penetration.

CSST cost more then black pipe.
But, many companies use it to save labor time.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:29 AM   #8

Good Morning BT,
Would I sleeve the black pipe to outside? or sleeve for a coonector to outside. If so what diameter and what is the sleeve dimension. I can core up to 3 1/2" with my toys
Old 01-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Sleeve Just needs to be big enough for the gas pipe to fit in it.
Sleeve can be PVC pipe. Then sealed so gas can not leak back through, if there was a leak outside at a connector.
The sleeve protects the pipe only, so it can terminate flush to the outside wall.

Tags
bbq, black pipe, furnace, gas, grill