DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Beware of Inappropriate Load Calculation Software - Source ACCA.org

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
Contractors: Beware of Inappropriate Load Calculation Software

Manual J ® is the ANSI-approved national standard for determining residential load calculations for HVACR systems, and is required by many building codes and regulations. It is produced by the Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA), the nation's largest association of indoor environmental systems professionals.

Given the complexities of modern construction, contractors and design professionals are encouraged to use software for accurate system design. However, not all load calculation software is created equal.

ACCA is reminding contractors that only those software programs that have been approved and licensed by ACCA as “Powered by Manual J ®” can be considered in compliance with codes and regulations requiring the use of Manual J ®.

As of today, the only software programs that meet the requirements for Manual J ® load calculations are:

Any other software program, online service or mobile application cannot be considered to be compliant with the Manual J ® standard and should not be used where Manual J ® is required. Use of non-authorized software may pose a liability for the contractor that installs the system.

For more information on Manual J ®, the ACCA system design process, and load calculation software, visit https://www.acca.org/industry/system-design.

Any comments?

See less See more
#3 ·
I was hoping to see specific software that was troublesome comparatively to some of the programs that are 'allowed' for acca to make money on.

That's what it's all about, the money. They simpley do not want people using software that does not belong to them, no matter if it's identical and produces the same results and I'd be willing to bet it is and does.

Thankfully load calcs are not my concern.

#4 ·
I was going to state that also, but wanted to wait for someone else to point that out. Now, if Microsoft got involved with creating the software, it would be full of bugs, always in Beta, it would tell you that your equipment was out of date, and needs to be upgraded, and the calculations would cost you to find out the results.

#5 ·
The software is only a interface. ACCA is saying that only these four software are following the national standard. It's wierd.

#6 ·
To be ACCA compliant/approved, the software company must pay a licensing fee to ACCA.

Manual J is a readers digest of ASHRAE's fundamentals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.