Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Better for AC on for shorter or longer periods?

Hi!

I have a new thermostat and allows you to set the swing temperature from .5* to 2.0*. I find that at a lower setting, the AC runs for shorter periods of time, but more frequently. As you raise the swing to 2.0, it runs longer but less frequently.

Is it better for the AC to run more frequently in shorter periods, or less frequently in longer periods? I'm afraid that turning things on and off more frequently will break them quicker, but something makes me think it might be better overall to run it more frequently.

Thanks!

wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,070

Short cycling with not give time to dehumidify the home.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
carmon (06-10-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,224

I have my swing set at 1.5. Reason being, is that at 1.0 it cycles too much. 1.5 it cycles the right amount of times that I want it too, and runs for a longer period. Do not go to 2.0, unless you want long periods between the unit running and sitting Idle. That means, that the temp of the house would have to get two degrees above the set point of the thermostat. So, if you set the thermostat at lets say 72, it would have to get 74 in the house before it would kick on, and would have to run for a very long period to get it back down to 72.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I have my swing set at 1.5. Reason being, is that at 1.0 it cycles too much. 1.5 it cycles the right amount of times that I want it too, and runs for a longer period. Do not go to 2.0, unless you want long periods between the unit running and sitting Idle. That means, that the temp of the house would have to get two degrees above the set point of the thermostat. So, if you set the thermostat at lets say 72, it would have to get 74 in the house before it would kick on, and would have to run for a very long period to get it back down to 72.
longer run times better... more comfort.... pulls more moisture from air....
carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carmon For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (06-10-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Electric motors don't like to be cycled. They can run for a long time but cycling on and off is hard on them with the start-up amps. In addition it takes my ac about 5-10 mins to start putting out really cold 55F air, so constant cycling of it would drastically decrease efficiency as well. My opinion, is set the longest run time you can handle.
wheelsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Thanks all for the responses.

It came by default set to 1 or 1.5*, but I upped it to the max, which is 2.0*. At 1 or 1.5, it seemed to be cycling too much. At 2.0, it seems a lot better.

I had a feeling that for comfort and efficiency, a short cycle would be better. For equipment longevity though, I had a feeling that a longer cycle is better. It's good to hear from the experts about their thoughts.

Thanks!
wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,224

What are you saying that it is cycling too much? On for 5, off for 5, then back on? On for 10, off for 15, then back on? If it is "short" cycling, whether it is on for 5, then off for 5, or on for 10, then off for 10 at either 1 or 1.5, you have other issues. Ether too many air leaks in the house, or over sized hvac equipment.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote