Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Do work

Rewards Points: 75

best way to shut off forced hot air heat to one room

Hi all,

My house has 4 bed rooms. One of them is used about 2 times during the winter heating months. I figured to save some money, I would shut off heat to that room then turn it on when guests arrive. The HVAC system has flexable supply line that goes to the room. There is a damper in the line in the attic. I close the damper and the room stays cool and I keep the door closed.

Now my question. The room also has a return line which has no damper. Is it fine that the my heater is pulling the colder air from that room? Or am I not saving any money as I need to heat that cool air to redistribute to the rest of the house. Would I be better to somehow block off that return line? If so how? Or am I over thinking this.

Thanks for any replies.

liquidvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Duct systems are almost always undersized to say the least. When you close of any run it could do more harm than good to your equipment. So I guess my answer is never close off any runs on a system unless you know for sure your equipment can handle the lesser air flow.

richiemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidvw
Hi all,

My house has 4 bed rooms. One of them is used about 2 times during the winter heating months. I figured to save some money, I would shut off heat to that room then turn it on when guests arrive. The HVAC system has flexable supply line that goes to the room. There is a damper in the line in the attic. I close the damper and the room stays cool and I keep the door closed.

Now my question. The room also has a return line which has no damper. Is it fine that the my heater is pulling the colder air from that room? Or am I not saving any money as I need to heat that cool air to redistribute to the rest of the house. Would I be better to somehow block off that return line? If so how? Or am I over thinking this.

Thanks for any replies.
Correct also the inside walls don't have insulation never close off vents
Hixheat1 is offline   Reply With Quote