Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:11 AM   #1

Share |

The best source for 2nd hand furnaces?

Hi,
I posted yesterday, "Choosing a heater for the garage" in which I told of our garage upgrade & pondering the options of heating it: non-vented (cheap, easy but have to poke holes in our walls and adding moisture to our garage space) or direct vented (great but more expensive) and the idea of using a second hand furnace.

From the replies, I gather that people do install and use 2nd hand furnaces just fine but was warned I need to know if I was getting a good one or not. Well that's a kicker in that I know little about furnaces and the main things I would go on would be its age and how it looks (clean, care-for).

We recently switched our tenants' electric range for a gas one (the goal fro the project was to open up electric capacity for the garage and while making the hook-up for the stove, we had a line sent out to the garage for a heater/furnace. After looking at new gas stoves I went to the locally owned appliance store and scored a sweet 2nd hand Amana enclosed burner stove, only 2 years old and barely used, for $225.

Anyway I brought that up because not only I got a better deal from the local company than I could have on Craigslist but it had been completely checked and tested by their repair shop as well. This makes me wonder if I could do something similar for my garage heat. Would a HVAC company be a good source for a 2nd hand furnace?

ChrisJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
Chicago, IL

The best source for 2nd hand furnaces?

Here in Chicago one source is "demolition sales", for example http://www.demolitionsales.com/sales.htm, I've bought a lot of stuff at these over the years.

There are a lot fewer of these than there used to be, but you still do find some recently installed furnaces and boilers.

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote