Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best Quality Furnace and A/C Combo

I will be replacing the original furnace in our home. It has run since 1960, it just keeps chugging along, that is why I haven't replaced it.

I am looking for a furnace/ac combo, but I am conflicted.

I looked up in the Consumer Affairs site and Carrier, Trane & Lennox all have quality problems. Most posters say to stay away from that particular brand.

From experts who have installed and repaired these brands, what brand would you consider to be the best.

Thanks,

wan2behapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #2

Most all products are the same. Look for a product that has a good warranty. Some also offer an extended warranty. Most everything is made disposible now. Some are easier to service and new products are not time-tested so it's a gamble in most cases. Many products use the same manufacturer for inducer motors, pressure switches,compressors,fan motors etc. So i gues cost is the issue as well as quality. I have installed many
different brands and have stuck with gibson the last 25 or so years. Take your pick. Where are you located?

JSCOTTYB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #3

Thanks for the general info. I am located in the San Jose, Ca. area.

Most good companies carry a 10 year warranty. I have read where the parts are covered but the labor is not and this was the very expensive area. I read many blogs where having a part replaced cost $700 for labor, which I think is high.
wan2behapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 252

Just keep in mind that Carrier, Lennox, and Trane are 3 of the largest HVAC companies in North America if not world wide (as in Carrier's case). It would make sense that there would be more problems with these units when they are outselling everyone else by a long shot.

Not that it matters to me what equipment you buy, just saying don't limit yourself by excuding some of the largest and most popular brands out there, with some of the best warranty packages available. I have installed Lennox and Carrier both over the last 20 years and have found that when they are installed correctly they have very few problems (as I'm sure would be the case with most products on the market today).
HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
REP

Rewards Points: 500

Warranties are a great thing,but they all dfon't work the same way.When you discuss this with a contractor ask them just how warranties work ,step by step.
In some cases you pay for the part until the factory OK's the warranty,then you get a refund.I agree that the three companies that you are talking about all make good solid equipment,but did you know that with Lennox the service company has to stock all the service parts he might need.If he dosen't have what you need he has to order the part from out of town.I myself worked with Trane and there wass a local wholesaler that stocked a heck of a lot more parts than I could afford to stock.Carrier usually works the same way.
With any of the mentioned companies you can buy an extended paerts and labor warranty.Here too ask just how step by step this works.Just remember labor is never going to be cheaper so parts and labor contracts are usually a good thing.
Here is another thing,don't just ask for a quote,ask for and demand that you get a completre manual "J" and a manual "D" .Its your money its your right to expect that the contractor put a little effort into producing an honest quote.Don't let anyone tell you nobody doses these things,It is now standard practise across the country by honest conceerned contractors.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote