Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2007, 01:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

best oil furnace replacement option

I was planning on replacing the oil furnace in my house with another unit in the spring, but the oil cost is burning a hole in my wallet and the thing sounds like it is about to blow up so I believe it will need to be replaced within the next 2 weeks.

It is an old Williamson unit, oil burning, that's about all the details i have on it. I can get more if necessary. house was built in 49.

I do not have central a/c and would like to add that at the same time.

I do not want to put in another oil unit. will a heat pump be sufficent or will I need to get a gas unit backup?

I do not have a gas line run to the house now, but I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal to have one installed.

what cost range are we talking for this? 2-3k? 5-6k? i'm sure I could spend as much as I want, but I am looking for a fairly efficent, dependable, heating and a/c package.

thanks for the help

crossthreaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi crossthread

I definately would reccomend a heat pump to about anybody. There are some climates however that are not real suitable for a free air heat pump. If your climate is fairly moist in the winter time, you will want to shut your heat pump down at a warmer temp. If you are going to spend the money and have the funds available, check into the higher end 90 plus furnace and a higher end heat pump. Here is the problem that most people run in to, the initial cost for high end equipment is expensive, you could spend 7-10 thousand dollars. But when you see the utility savings, you will be able to justify the expense. I would reccomend of course anything built by the Carrier corporation. But there are other good manufacturers out there. Just stay away from Goodman products and the low end Lennox like Armstrong. Choose your installing company wisley there are many out there that can't back up what they say. Make sure to have it bid by several contractors. If you can find one off this site in your area, give them the chance to bid on it also.

Good luck
Rusty

#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:47 AM   #3

well i'm not sure how much i can trust ya...being a mopar mahn and all...but i'll give ya a shot. :D:

so this heat pump will accomplish both heating and cooling, correct?

is the gas furnace a necessary backup? my mom had both installed a few years ago and I didn't understand why both were needed.

I was betting on spending about that much on the unit(s), is the furnace you are recommending a natural gas unit? I do not have gas run to the house now but would get it run if needed. if so I would probably replace the water heater with a gas unit at the same time for efficency's sake.
crossthreaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi crossthreaded

The answer to your first question is yes, the heat pump functions for both. The gas furnace can be either one, you can use it on LP gas or Natural. The reason for the gas furnace in this case is to supply your supplemental heat in colder weather. Most free air heat pumps start loosing efficency quickley once you get below 30 degrees. The high end 90 plus furnace at this point is more ecomomical to operate. You can also use electric heat as a supplemental heat sourc if electricity is cheaper for you than gas. This requires the use of a fan coil unit in place of the furnace. Hope this helps with your decision, love them mopars.

Good luck
Rusty
#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote