Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #1

Share |

Best budget mini split

Looking to buy a dual zone mini split around the 22k btu range. I am reading that Mitsu, LG and Fujitsu are best but they are pricey. Anyone have any input on Grunaire or Gree or any other pocket friendly units? I'm sure they are crappy as you seem to get what you pay for. Thanks.

Or this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ductless-Min...item4ac4a773ef

Last edited by Mstrlucky74; 05-30-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #2

Best budget mini split

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74
Looking to buy a dual zone mini split around the 22k btu range. I am reading that Mitsu, LG and Fujitsu are best but they are pricey. Anyone have any input on Grunaire or Gree or any other pocket friendly units? I'm sure they are crappy as you seem to get what you pay for. Thanks.

Or this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ductless-Min...item4ac4a773ef
Anyone?? Thanks

Old 05-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #3

Best budget mini split

Sounds like you ansewered your own question.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #4

Best budget mini split

Search around the web a little more and you will find Mitsu/Fujitsu system bargains.

A quick search on Google I came up with this:

http://www.theacoutlet.com/MXZ4B36NA...FRBgMgodYBoALg

I am sure with a little more research you can find better deals. Just so you know even with the eBay one you still need other parts such as line sets, power whip, disconnect box and such.

Good luck.
newbieowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #5

Best budget mini split

Also look for Sanyo mini splits. They are a notch below Fujitsu and Mitsubishi but still reliable.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #6

Best budget mini split

MstrLucky74, are you planning to install this unit yourself? I hope you dont mind if I give you some caution.

If you plan to install it yourself, be sure you understand the scope of what you're getting into. It may at first seem rather simple, but truly it isnt.

I am a do-it-yourself, non-HVAC kind of guy who is planning to do the same thing. I'm not an HVAC worker who is just being protective of my job. I'm an engineer and very handy with tools. But I recognise this install will be pushing my limits, and expensive, and there are about 100 costly mistakes I can make, and probably will make. I've decided to accept that risk for the benefit of educating myself. We only learn by doing. If your goal is to learn, like me, then go for it. But if you simply want a working ac unit, I'd pay someone else to install it, and buy the unit from that same person. Really.

Lets say you've decided to go forward and buy and install one yourself. Now you're going to spent a ton of money on special equipment, special tools, and consumables. Since this will be an R410 unit, you cant really skimp on those. It's going to cost you plenty. This reality sort of ruins your whole effort to save money on a low-cost unit. I've already spent $1000 and I dont even have my unit yet.

If, on the other hand, you plan to buy the unit cheaply and then find someone willing to install it... you're going to have problems with that too. Many installers wont do it, there are other threads explaining why. It doesnt fit today's overall HVAC business model, which in my opinion will be forced to change in the coming years. That disparity puts these professional guys in a tough position. Most of them would love to make every job an excellent high-quality job, but they simply cant when people so often choose the low-baller hack installer. The bottom line is, I dont see any residential HVAC guys getting rich. A good quality installation job is usually worth what they ask. Particularly when it's warrantied.

Speaking of which, you probably wont get one. If you find a guy willing to hook it up for you, and it looses its charge in a week, well... prepare to buy those expensive tools or call the pro who will now charge you top dollar.

There are risks and costs which aren't obvious when you are only looking at the initial cost of a cheap unit. For DIY, there is a large and unavoidable risk of money, time, and hassle which for most people simply isnt worth it.

If you understand all that, (maybe heard it before), and you still want to go forward, then outstanding, lets get started. The cheap brand I've seen around here in So Cal is called Soleus. I feel they are likely to be overrated in BTU, low on efficiency, and thin-walled copper. I see a guy selling 1-2 ton units on Craiglist for as low as $450. He'll come and hack it in for another $100. I saw a Soleus unit in a motel I stayed at, worked fine. Not likely to be high efficiency, but I'm sure they work fine. For a while.

Good luck!
Upton O Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #7

Best budget mini split

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton O Good View Post
MstrLucky74, are you planning to install this unit yourself? I hope you dont mind if I give you some caution.

If you plan to install it yourself, be sure you understand the scope of what you're getting into. It may at first seem rather simple, but truly it isnt.

I am a do-it-yourself, non-HVAC kind of guy who is planning to do the same thing. I'm not an HVAC worker who is just being protective of my job. I'm an engineer and very handy with tools. But I recognise this install will be pushing my limits, and expensive, and there are about 100 costly mistakes I can make, and probably will make. I've decided to accept that risk for the benefit of educating myself. We only learn by doing. If your goal is to learn, like me, then go for it. But if you simply want a working ac unit, I'd pay someone else to install it, and buy the unit from that same person. Really.

Lets say you've decided to go forward and buy and install one yourself. Now you're going to spent a ton of money on special equipment, special tools, and consumables. Since this will be an R410 unit, you cant really skimp on those. It's going to cost you plenty. This reality sort of ruins your whole effort to save money on a low-cost unit. I've already spent $1000 and I dont even have my unit yet.

If, on the other hand, you plan to buy the unit cheaply and then find someone willing to install it... you're going to have problems with that too. Many installers wont do it, there are other threads explaining why. It doesnt fit today's overall HVAC business model, which in my opinion will be forced to change in the coming years. That disparity puts these professional guys in a tough position. Most of them would love to make every job an excellent high-quality job, but they simply cant when people so often choose the low-baller hack installer. The bottom line is, I dont see any residential HVAC guys getting rich. A good quality installation job is usually worth what they ask. Particularly when it's warrantied.

Speaking of which, you probably wont get one. If you find a guy willing to hook it up for you, and it looses its charge in a week, well... prepare to buy those expensive tools or call the pro who will now charge you top dollar.

There are risks and costs which aren't obvious when you are only looking at the initial cost of a cheap unit. For DIY, there is a large and unavoidable risk of money, time, and hassle which for most people simply isnt worth it.

If you understand all that, (maybe heard it before), and you still want to go forward, then outstanding, lets get started. The cheap brand I've seen around here in So Cal is called Soleus. I feel they are likely to be overrated in BTU, low on efficiency, and thin-walled copper. I see a guy selling 1-2 ton units on Craiglist for as low as $450. He'll come and hack it in for another $100. I saw a Soleus unit in a motel I stayed at, worked fine. Not likely to be high efficiency, but I'm sure they work fine. For a while.

Good luck!
THanks for your time. I am def not looking to install myself. I would like to get a dual unit around 22k BTU(pref 23-34) for around $2,600. Not sure what the install will cost...hoping not more than $500. Am going to try and buy from a 1 stop shop.....where I can buy and have same company install.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #8

Best budget mini split

I bought my unit and installed it myself. I then called a HVAC company who came over, connected the lines and brought up the system. They then signed my warrantee card so the manufacture can't void it.

It doesn't hurt to call a few companies and ask.......
Old 08-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #9

Best budget mini split

The one thing most people don't realize is that the upper end mini-splits from Daikin, Mitsubishi, Sanyo, LG, Fujitsu, etc. is that they all use inverter technology. The compressors are true variable speed and will ramp up or down based on the load. This makes a HUGE difference in the comfort level. Think - CRUISE CONTROL for your car. The capacity is matched with the heat load and the room temperature will barely swing up or down since they use a return air sensor to constantly monitor temperature and adjust the refrigerant flow. I've used several of these the the comfort can't be beat - plus constant dehumidification. The lower end units are just fancy window units cut in half. They bang on and off and you will get a larger temperature swing in the room.
AtticFoil.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
AKA HVACTECHFW

Best budget mini split

I put a grunaire inverter unit in for a family member and they haven't had a problems....
Old 08-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #11

Best budget mini split

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
I put a grunaire inverter unit in for a family member and they haven't had a problems....
I think that using any Inverter product is the first way to go. The difference in comfort, less noise, smaller breaker, no locked rotor amps, no light flicker, longer piping length. I think the advantages over the long haul are definitely worth spending the extra money on the front end.
AtticFoil.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #12

Best budget mini split

And....an inverter system will provide far superior heating operation in the winter.
Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #13
Hvac Pro

Best budget mini split

they are a good idea but I believe Fujitsu is the only one that has had that technology around long enough to have a unit that is tried, tested and true. takes at least 5 yrs B4 the other lower priced guys get one that may work well in the long run. just like buying a car, you want to wait 2 yrs to make sure it has no design flaws. you do get what you pay for in the REAL world. I took a course on Fuijitsu's and trust me troubleshooting these inverter units is going to be a nightmare in the future. need to understand DC voltages and electronics and finding parts and tech info for the el cheapos in my experience is next to impossible. at least with the major name brands they will have parts and info in the long run. usually the major brand names just like Lennox, Carrier and Trane don't sell to DIYers either. depends if quality and longevity and ease of service etc is important 2 U or price only.

Last edited by yuri; 08-28-2013 at 11:52 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
HVAC Tech/Owner

Best budget mini split

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton O Good View Post
Many installers wont do it, there are other threads explaining why. It doesnt fit today's overall HVAC business model, which in my opinion will be forced to change in the coming years. That disparity puts these professional guys in a tough position. Most of them would love to make every job an excellent high-quality job, but they simply cant when people so often choose the low-baller hack installer. The bottom line is, I dont see any residential HVAC guys getting rich. A good quality installation job is usually worth what they ask. Particularly when it's warrantied.

!
I agree with your post except for the part about "forced to change". This industry is CUSTOM work...all of it....the only thing not custom is the "Brand" that is purchased as the main equipment. There are MANY other parts and consumables and EXPERTISE and ATTENTION to DETAIL that MAKE or BREAK a job.

What SAVES the HACKS is the equipment is designed to last a long time working 24/7.....It will make it past their "PAYDAY".
Technow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
Hvac Pro

Best budget mini split

HVAC guys don't get rich because they are too busy cutting each others throats $$ wise. like my Boss says it is a race to the bottom for who will work the cheapest and Commercial biz is getting like that too. the well established ones do OK if they maintain their clientele properly but it is a cutthroat biz.

30 minutes or 30 miles is the hacker warranty. 60 mph = 1 mile/minute and that is how fast they drive away.
Attached Images

Last edited by yuri; 08-28-2013 at 12:11 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote