Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

Before and after pics.

Hand built by yours truly.

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Before and after pics.

That is nuts, must be a homeowner original install!!

wheelsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Before and after pics.

That was done by the last hvac company I worked for which did a lot of home warranty work. These customers are very good people, a young family. I was the first one from my old company to help them out, replaced a control board on their old Carrier furnace, then I cleaned both coils. A few months later, no heat. Turned out to be a cracked heat exchanger.

Of course they really liked me and my work ethic so they wanted me to do the job and of course I said I would. My dumb ass ex-boss wife's son also works for the company. He sucks at everything he does and yet the boss keeps using him. Wife wanted her son to do the job, told me I was a tech and not an installer. Funny thing, I'd already installed about 100 different units for them. Hmmff.

That was the result, after I told the boss' wife I had zero respect for her, she was not my boss and that this would bite them in the ass, and that her son should not ever work in this trade. I actually told her he needed to be shot. I was supposed to do the install on that furnace and I should have.

But of course my old company was not willing to do anything about this transition blowing apart even though they did the work, told the customer to call the home warranty company.

The straps are what the homeowner used to try and hold the thing together over the past few days as the tranny blew apart. The idiot son taped the inside of the duct board, to the actual insulation. And than those two bass ackwards plenums tied together, strangling the air flow? Oh good grief.

I felt so bad for them when I went and actually saw this for the first time yesterday that I pretty much gave them that transition, the access panel and an evaporator cleaning this morning. The return air seals in the attic were leaking as well, one duct board flap sucked completely into the unit.

Sad.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 06-12-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Before and after pics.

Nice job Doc.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 160

Before and after pics.

nice job doc. its nice to see someone who cares about their work.
do you use alot of duct board down there? it doesnt seem it would hold up as well as
tin does. When duct board first came out, a contractor used it for the RTU that served
the indoor pool area of the community center. needless to say they replaced it 2 years latter.
hvac instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Before and after pics.

Thanks. Yup, lots of duct board, even on rtu's.