Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #1

Share |

Been looking at some Wood Burning Stoves

Well its getting into October here in Michigan which means that the beautiful autumn colors should be in full effect soon. One of the indicators is the low 30 degree weather that rolls in during the night. In Michigan we see temps dip into the sub zero's in November, December, January and sometimes Feb.

Seems winter is roaring in like a lion this year, and last year I dont feel the furnace was able to keep up with the new addition that was put onto the house.

I have been looking at some diffrent wood burning stoves because I think the kids will like building a fire, and I myself enjoy the sound and feel of a wood fire over gas. I also notice the BTU's from a wood fire are much better than the gas "Fireplace".

I found this company called NortherTool that sells a wood burning stove rated at 110,000 BTU's with a 12 hour burn time. The fireplace is air tight, has a front loading door with glass, and also includes a blower fan. The price is VERY reasonable at less than $500 complete! The only problem is they are on back order, but have 700 more due in at the end of this month. There is also only two reviews for this product since it appears to be "New" to the market.

Here is a link for the Wistler 110,000 Century wood buring stove.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200393570_200393570

They also sell a similar one that has great ratings, and is also in stock.
Drolet Savannah 55,000 BTU Wood Stove, Model# DB03020
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200307393_200307393

This smaller one has the bricks inside, so it takes a smaler log. It is also made in Canada and is safe for tailer homes.

I am thinking that if the Centry Stove is made in China, I will go for the Canadian made unit. Only problem is the Canadian made unit is rated at a much lower BTU rating. I think this is because the hopper takes a smaller log. I really like to have the 110,000 BTU for max heat.

What does everyone else think? Anyone have any experiences with these sorts of things?

Also thinking about putting one in my garage as my Dayton oil fired torpedo heater is going south. I already have the chimney stacks in the living room and the garage. They are the fancy ones that are made for fireplaces with three diffrent tubes inside each other with fireproofing. My only wish is that someone didnt steal the old stoves that were in the house prior to my moving in.

SELLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #2

I seen some other guy in here talking about installing a wood stove in his garage without the proper chimney. The post was locked and for good reason I guess.

If he is reading he should check out this link,

DynaGlo-PRO 50k-200k BTU Portable Propane Convection Heater

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Its a 200,000 BTU LP gas heater for only $130! I been eyeing it myself as I too do not want to sacrafice the room in the garage for a heater, esp. during the summer months. I could not find a way to e-mail him, but if anyone else can, send him the link.

Here was his post.
Intallation of wood stove in Garage

Someone shoot him the link, it sounds like he could get the results he is looking for without burning down the garage.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
DIY staff

Either one looks like a fine choice.

I think that the airtight box will make controlling the burn very easy.

I responded to the garage woodburner guy,
I have some regrets.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #4

I am the "guy" everyone is talking about today. Must be a slow day on the DIY forums? I simply was asking for advice just like you and they censored! It wasn't like I was going to have "kids" start fires in my house? I think "Scub Dave" or Steve or whatever his name is might close your thread b/c of your comment of having kids starting fires? I will take a look at your suggestion on the other type of heater but like you I like wood stoves. Peace and love.
radl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #5

Dude, I am an expert Mechanic, and I often times get banned on many auto forums for warning them of dangerous advice. One forum was even trying to promote putting propane in an Automotive AC system. I got banned and censored for telling people it could kill them. When your post are erased, thats censorship. When they are locked, well thats just a speed bump... LOL Good luck buddy.. I like ya already!

To censor you would mean to "Delete" the post. In this case they just closed it, in an effort to save you from yourself. These people dont seem too bad in here, Id tell you to chill out, but it sounds like your trying to do the opposite. LOL

What do you think of the LP Heater for $130?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #6

SELLC,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will look into that heater. It would probaby work but I love fireplaces and always wanted one in a home. I thought I could get alot of enjoyment out of one in the garage. I will be discussing this further with someone in the industry about my project to see how "safe" it would be. If need be I will install it thru the wall or ceiling. Good luck with your project! Watch out for Scuba Steve! I wouldn't suggest someone diving in the ocean with a pumpkin on their head? My guess that isn't "code" either? Go Pack! and Loins when not playing the Pack!
radl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #7

Older wood stoves need as much as 36" distance to combustibles
It's not possibly to meet that requirement going up & thru a window
Only your local Building Inspector & Fire Dept can tell you the proper installation required for the stove & your area

There is a big difference between asking for an opinion on stove (this thread) & asking about a possible illegal & unsafe installation while avoiding any inspection
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
DIY staff

I do a lot of mid-winter tile work--I LIVE OR FREEZE BY MY LP HEATER.

I also heat my house with a large wood stove,a safe chimney lets me sleep better.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #9

To be honest with you I am very happy the chimney pipes were installed already. I have read diffrent places that installing them cost upwards of $1000 by a pro. Right now they are plugged up and serve excellent homes for animals.

I get you regarding the sound and feel of a log fire. But you brought up a good point that I hadnt really considered before. The amount of room it will eat during the summer would just be a PITA! So I am thinking of getting a nice one for in the house, and going with that $130 unit for the garage.

At least this way when my comfortmaker crapps the bed, Ill have a back up wood burning stove with blower for a few days while I install a new furnace.

Last edited by SELLC; 10-12-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #10
DIY staff

Scuba Dave -You are 100% right.
I hope i didn't offend,Mike
Old 10-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
DIY staff

When I build my house I installed stainless triple walled flue. Pricey--yet safest on the market at the time.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Older wood stoves need as much as 36" distance to combustibles
Some of these newer high efficancy models are stating they only need 6-14 inches from the sides. Even so they ALL require the proper venting, and none of them include it with the stove.

One of the things I worry about with these newer units is if they are made to hold up? Or if they are thin crappy steal that will emit toxic fumes for the first month? Anyone ever used one of these newer burners with the blower?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELLC View Post
Some of these newer high efficancy models are stating they only need 6-14 inches from the sides.
My Bad... Seems the minumum is 14 inches (On the higher priced models). I mis-read the 6 inch flu for distance from the wall. Sorry.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Scuba Dave -You are 100% right.
I hope i didn't offend,Mike
Nope - no problem
I'm all for helping people, I'm very big on DIY
But not so big on avoiding a safe installation & Inspection
Here it is required that the Fire Dept inspect the installation, Insurance needs to know, building Dept also checks the installation

I've been heating with wood for close to 15 years in 2 houses
Been burning wood since I was a kid, Boy Scouts

I run a tube heater with a blower in a fireplace, it's a massive fireplace in the house, not on an exterior wall
It puts out around 60,000 BTU, my house (before additions) needed around 68k to heat the house
I was surprised to learn that the #1 cause of House fires is the Home heating system

My last house I had a triple wall that I built around the stove area
Drywall on the wall, then air spacing, then 1/2" cement board, then brick
It acted as huge heat sink & a passive heating system as air flowed under the stove hearth & up the air cavity
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post

I've been heating with wood for close to 15 years in 2 houses
Been burning wood since I was a kid, Boy Scouts
LoL, I just got back from my kids den meeting at 8:15.