DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bedroom is colder than the rest of the house

10K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
My house is about 1300 square feet, I have a 2 ton heat pump and 15kw electric heat. I have no problem keeping my house warm except my bedroom. If I have the temp set at 72, my bedroom is 69. At first I thought it was a window so I put plastic over it. Still the same. When I am running my heat pump I have about 90 degree air coming off the coil and it runs at 89 at the register in the room. Is there a way to calculate the size of air duct you need in a room? I'm thinking the air duct and supply line are possibly not large enough for the room...

#6 ·
If the room stays the cooler weather the door is open or not, then it won't help.

Simply increasing the supply duct size to that room may help. Or it may not. If the supply trunk its attached to is also under sized.

Its also possible your central return is undersized.

#7 ·
One solution to this problem may be that you add a "scoop" to the lateral which runs from the main supply line to the bedroom. This is just a piece of sheet metal shaped like a, well, a "scoop". I had the same problem with one bedroom of this house I am currently sitting in, the main bedroom at that. I thought about having the wife sleep elsewhere to see if the room would warm up, but that didn't work either. A friend in the business told me about the scoop, how to build one, and I installed it myself. It just directs a little more air into the lateral going to whichever room. Of course this robs a little air from the rest of the system, but in my case I never noticed it. I'm cooling 2060 sq. ft. with a 3.5 X-duty AC/heat pump and all is well now. Maybe this will help, David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.