Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #1

Share |

Beckett RWB Replacement on Weil-Mclain 68 series - AFG, NX???

Hi-

I've got a ~15 year-old Weil-Mclain oil-fed boiler with what I presume is the original burner, a Beckett RWB. It's functioning fine today, but I wouldn't mind replacing it with a more modern unit, if only to have the old one as an emergency spare.

I'm not sure, but it seems as though the AFG model replaced the RWB, and then the NX replaced the AFG? I could be wrong on that - it's just a semi-educated guess from what I've quickly read on-line. I see that the current boilers indeed ship with a NX.

Appreciate any input on the topic. One immeidate question comes to mind.... Are some of the common replacement parts such as the ignition box common between the two burners?

Thanks...

Brad

Last edited by DPDISXR4Ti; 02-01-2009 at 11:54 AM.
DPDISXR4Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
JCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti View Post
Hi-

I've got a ~15 year-old Weil-Mclain oil-fed boiler with what I presume is the original burner, a Beckett RWB. It's functioning fine today, but I wouldn't mind replacing it with a more modern unit, if only to have the old one as an emergency spare.

I'm not sure, but it seems as though the AFG model replaced the RWB, and then the NX replaced the AFG? I could be wrong on that - it's just a semi-educated guess from what I've quickly read on-line. I see that the current boilers indeed ship with a NX.

Appreciate any input on the topic. One immeidate question comes to mind.... Are some of the common replacement parts such as the ignition box common between the two burners?

Thanks...

Brad
As far as I can tell by my oil burner, the AFG is the same as RWB, as it says both words on my motor. I would think the NX is somehow different. I doubt the ignition box is the same either. They want you to buy differnt parts after something is discontinued, such as the older 68 burners. I am going to replace the refractorys/blanket parts in my firebox this spring and try to keep it going for another 10 years or so. It has always worked fine except for when I slacked on getting it cleaned for 3 years. I learned my lesson. When it was cleaned the last couple times, they did a lousy job, now I do it myself. I also replaced the water valves on it last year.
JCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCP View Post
As far as I can tell by my oil burner, the AFG is the same as RWB
I had also come to the same conclusion in the mean time. Are there different models of the AFG's, or is the base unit the same? I realize that there's several different sizes/brands of transformers, oil pumps, relays, nozzles, etc, but is the base unit the same?

Also, relative to your experience with the cleaning of the unit, any further details to share in that regard? What weren't they doing that they should have been?

Thanks...
Old 02-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
JCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti View Post
I had also come to the same conclusion in the mean time. Are there different models of the AFG's, or is the base unit the same? I realize that there's several different sizes/brands of transformers, oil pumps, relays, nozzles, etc, but is the base unit the same?

Also, relative to your experience with the cleaning of the unit, any further details to share in that regard? What weren't they doing that they should have been?

Thanks...
I think the AFG's may have all the same basic model, but there are different burner head air tube lengths and parts inside. Different boilers call for different burners. The 68 oil burner manuals are free on the Weil-Mclain site.
On the cleaners, what happens is that they open the top and clean the flueways with a wire brush and of course the stuff falls into the firebox. They don't do much of a job at cleaning out the firebox. Could be because the firebox has the fiberous material in it and they are worried about damaging it, which makes sense (But I do remember some cleaners long ago who did a careful and good job and we never had problems with it). Therefore it accumulates and it gets pretty full of crap after 20 years. Hence, too much soot. My furnace needs new fiberous material in the combustion chamber, which of course it deteriorated even more when trying to clean it out. I just ordered kit of new stuff for $129. The locals want $350+ to do the job. I am retired so I got the time. I just cleaned it out again, and spring is coming and then I will put the new materials in it. I installed a electric water heater so I don't use the furnace to heat water in the summer anymore.
JCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #5

Thanks for the details!
Old 02-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #6

There are numerous differences in the different burners from the heads, tubes, number of slots, pump pressures, internal housing designs to name a few. They will all work fine when properly adjusted for the application. The NX is a burner for higher static applications. I would install the AFG if I were replacing the burner.
When doing so the proper firing rate must be chosen pump pressure and combustion must be checked.
tk03 is offline   Reply With Quote