Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroon Exhaust Fan

Hi,

I am about to put in a new bathroom in my basement. Unfortunately, most of the basement is complete with the exception of the bathroom. I need to vent the exhaust fan outside, the only option I have is to T in to the dyer vent; from a code prospective is this ok? if not can you suggest a different solution?

trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Bathroon Exhaust Fan

Don't do it. That's where all the nasties (carbon monoxide for one) from a gas dyer are exhausted via the vent tube. If the dryer didn't vent outside completely then you'd be putting that and a ton of moisture in your house, even with an electric dryer, there isn't a BR vent fan out there that is effective at controlling the back flow of air.

With out pictures of your situation or additional details, it's difficult for us to understand why you are limited to this one solution. Does this BR have an exterior basement wall? If not, do the joist run to a location where you have access? Can you provide a sketch of the basement setup?

RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #3

Bathroon Exhaust Fan

Here is a rough version of my basement
Attached Files
File Type: zip basement.zip (5.0 KB, 23 views)
trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Bathroon Exhaust Fan

It looks to me like you "should" be able to get to the upper left hand corner of your drawing with minor difficulties. You might have to run the vent up in the joist, then either drill a hole or drop down under the joist then back up to exit the house near the garage....it may not be beautiful, but then again, it's not finished either. Look a bit more creatively at your problem and I'm sure you can figure a way to the exterior wall.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #5

Bathroon Exhaust Fan

Hello all, new here, not trying to take over post, only post I could find with Bathroon Exhaust Fan, I live in end townhouse in Baltimore City MD, remodling the second floor bathroom, (no exhaust fan) house has a FLAT roof need to know the best was to vent exhaust fan? from bathroom ceiling to roof is about 15", from center of bathoom to outside wall (brick and block) about 5', what would be the best option? what duct work would you recommend? any help would be greatly appreciated

James
jac43k is offline   Reply With Quote