Bathrooms... - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Bathrooms...

Hello,

Currently I have 2 bathrooms upstairs that have HVAC but neither have fans.

An HVAC guy told me A/C isn't really needed in the bathroom and he suggested
I remove the HVAC vents and add electric heaters and add ventilation fans.
He also said it was ok to hook the ventilation fan to my maxi vent in the roof, I'm not sure if this is acceptable.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Advertisement

adamavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 536

Bathrooms...

He needs to stick with working on A/C's.
Never heard of any house in a warm climet not having A/C in the bathroom and see no reason not to.
Every bathroom needs an exhost fan, there needs to be two lines not one if you have two bathrooms and run them through a soffit vent (Lowes and Home Depot sell one just for this) or out the wall.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Bathrooms...

What Joe said: don't over complicate things. Leave the HVAC vent alone. Add in a vent through the ceiling and pipe it out through soffit or facing.

Without adequate ventilation out of the bathroom humidity will be more likely to create mold and other issue.

Neither of my bathrooms were ventilated when I bought the house - they are, now . . . there is a definite benefit to being able to repel steam and odors out quickly.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #4

Bathrooms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
He needs to stick with working on A/C's.
Never heard of any house in a warm climet not having A/C in the bathroom ..
Might be worth a mention that I live in Montreal, Canada. Highs in summer are around 85-90F. that's from late june to august.
1 bathroom is an ensuite to the master, we're trying to raise the dropped ceiling in the kitchen so it's a pain to put it back in.
the other bathroom is possible to put it back, but it would no longer be under the window, is that ok?

Ventilation fans: I heard before that 2 bathrooms need 2 seperate exits, they can't be T'd into 1 connection. Thanks for validating.

Thanks again!

Last edited by adamavis; 12-02-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #5

Bathrooms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snav View Post
Without adequate ventilation out of the bathroom humidity will be more likely to create mold and other issue.

I came home yesterday from work and the wall had beads of moisture on it. I had showered 10 hrs prior. Kinda scary.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

Bathrooms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamavis View Post
I came home yesterday from work and the wall had beads of moisture on it. I had showered 10 hrs prior. Kinda scary.
That means that there is not only not enough air movement, but the attic space above it is not properly insulated or vented. Get a bath fan in there, and if you wold like, use a timer that has a humidity sensor. The catch-22 on those, is if the house moisture is high, the sensor will keep drawing air and not shut off.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Bathrooms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamavis View Post
My bathroom was 'remodeled' (rather poorly) before we bought it - 4 years later when I was finally ready to get to the master bath I pulled off their trim that they put in the shower and found a massive thick mat of mold, moss and who knows what else behind the wallboard.

I know that wasn't all just because of a lack of ventilation - but it most certainly didn't help.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 588

Bathrooms...

Here is how the builder did it in my house. The 2 upstairs bathroom vents have ducts that terminate just below a through-roof domed vent fitting that looks like a little UFO on the roof. The ducts terminate just below the underside of the dome.

raylo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Bathrooms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo32
Here is how the builder did it in my house. The 2 upstairs bathroom vents have ducts that terminate just below a through-roof domed vent fitting that looks like a little UFO on the roof. The ducts terminate just below the underside of the dome.
Raylo, that is not the correct way to do it. The need to terminate in a box, with a single duct attached to the proper vent, that has a damper, so that cold air does not re-enter the space you are trying to exhaust.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #10

Bathrooms...

Hey, I didn't build the place I just live here. ;-) I always wondered about this setup. Dampers... I am not sure but there may be some closer to the source. I haven't ever felt any cold air infiltration from these vents but something I will have to check out. All the townhouses in my development have the same little dome fitting on the roof but not sure if they all terminate the ducts inside like they did with mine. BTW, the vents for the first level bathrooms have the typical side exits with flapper dampers.

Thanks for the observation, Greg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Raylo, that is not the correct way to do it. The need to terminate in a box, with a single duct attached to the proper vent, that has a damper, so that cold air does not re-enter the space you are trying to exhaust.

Last edited by raylo32; 12-02-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Bathrooms...

Mine is just flex pipe to the roof vent. Reason being, is due to at the time my wife wanted it in, and we did not know if we were making the upper story into living space. I just left it, but put in a inline damper, which works. Mine is up inside the roof vent, so that it exhausts outside and does not gather into the attic.

It has been that way for eight years, and no signs of problems, due to how well the attic is ventilated.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #12

Bathrooms...

I also have a ridge vent right near this so the attic is definitely well ventilated. I wonder if there might be dampers right on the fan boxes for these sorts of installations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Mine is just flex pipe to the roof vent. Reason being, is due to at the time my wife wanted it in, and we did not know if we were making the upper story into living space. I just left it, but put in a inline damper, which works. Mine is up inside the roof vent, so that it exhausts outside and does not gather into the attic.

It has been that way for eight years, and no signs of problems, due to how well the attic is ventilated.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Bathrooms...

Some have them, but after a while, with the dust they pull, and the moisture, it is like dryer vents. The gunk becomes a mess that causes the dampers to not close. I take mine apart about once a year and clean up the fins and put it back together. It is just plastic, but like I said, it has been temp. This coming spring, I need to get up there and replace with regular ductwork, and wire the roof vent fan, before it gets hot.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #14

Bathrooms...

So do I understand this correctly, I can add a fan in my bathroom and connect it to my roof vent (Maxi vent) with a damper?
Old 12-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #15

Bathrooms...

Nevermind, I found a good image that explained it.

Advertisement