Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2012, 02:51 AM   #1

Share |

Bathroom ventilation (possibly stupid question)

I am not sure if my bathroom ventilation is adequate. I used to have a small cheap vent fan that I got from the big box store ducted to the outside. It wasn't pretty to look at, but I feel like it got the job done (no fog on the mirrors even with the door closed).

Fast forward a bit, after a partial bathroom remodel in which I hired a contractor to do the job, my new vent fan LOOKS better, but it's not getting rid of the moisture as well (tub is wet even 20 min after shower with fan running and mirrors get pretty foggy). I called the contractor and he told me that everything is working fine and since the vent trap on the outside is moving when the fan is on, that proves it's working. He suggested that open the door a bit to help.

I've tried opening the door to allow more intake air. It does indeed result in less fog on the mirrors but I'm not convinced the moisture is going up the vent. I feel more humidity in the next door room and I think it's just migrating there.

I've also tried adding a timer to the vent so it's programmed to run 20-30 min after leaving. It works so-so. There's a noticeable difference in the musty feeling if the fan runs with the door open (which again I'm not sure that the moisture isn't just migrating to the next room). What really gets me is that the cfm rating of the new fan is higher than the rating of my old one.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

strategery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #2

Are the two fans ducted the same? How is the new one ducted (horizontal/vertical, length of run, etc)?

What do you mean by a "vent trap"? Is that the external termination (a "flapper" that opens and closes when the fan is on)?

scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #3

When i got my new exhaust fan it had the vent closed off at the fan itself so it was essentially useless. It was some plastic piece that I think was supposed to flap open when the fan was turned on but didn't. I just opened that piece up and now the vent works fine. Might be something to check.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmcd9999
Are the two fans ducted the same? How is the new one ducted (horizontal/vertical, length of run, etc)?

What do you mean by a "vent trap"? Is that the external termination (a "flapper" that opens and closes when the fan is on)?
Yes it's the flapper sorry about that.

Yes ducted exactly the same with a horizontal run about 15ft
Old 07-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #5

Were the door or floor changed in the remodel resulting in less space between them?
ionized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionized
Were the door or floor changed in the remodel resulting in less space between them?
Nope. Same.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategery View Post
Yes it's the flapper sorry about that.

Yes ducted exactly the same with a horizontal run about 15ft
Is it using the same run or was a new run installed?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound

Is it using the same run or was a new run installed?
Exact same run.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #9

require airflow instrument and knowledge of use to actually see if air flow is what it is supposed to be. the flapper can be opened with less than required air. MUST physically check installation for blockages, including packing paper/plastic, make sure venting is actually attached and sealed make sure attachment of vent at discharge of fan is on 100%- I just moved our dryer and found that the vent connection had dislodged - easy fix but, that is what can happen..not likely a problem but, some fans can turn in both directions depending on wiring..check tgo see if fan motor is reversible and if it is make sure it's wired to go in the right direction..usually only have to change 1 or 2 leads as displayed on the electrical cover plate- but not usual on this size of fan..also check entire duct to makje sure someone hasn't stepped on it or twisted it and has collapsed it...I think you see what I'm getting at..Rule of thumb ...hold tissue up to air intake..it should easily stick to it and stay there.

techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to techpappy For This Useful Post:
AGWhitehouse (07-11-2012)