DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   Bathroom ventilation (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/bathroom-ventilation-158529/)

Jim Baughman 10-01-2012 12:40 AM

Bathroom ventilation
 
Would like to know the diference between an External wall mounted dryer
vent & a External wall mounted bathroom vent.
Noticed when I went to Home Depot that the vents in stock were listed
as dryer vents.
What are the design features that distinguish them as either a dryer vent & or a bathroom vent.
Can they be enterchanged.
Could not get an answer fro Home Depot.

Thanks Jim.

AtlanticWBConst. 10-01-2012 08:18 AM

Are you referring to "Vent Covers"?

joecaption 10-01-2012 08:33 AM

Both will work fine. I would not use the ones with the luvers, Use the one with round flapper instead.
The louvers start to stick over the years.

danpik 10-01-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1020954)
Both will work fine. I would not use the ones with the luvers, Use the one with round flapper instead.
The louvers start to stick over the years.

Around my neck of the woods I would recomend the louvers over the flappers. The birds here have gotten smart enough to figure out how to open the flaps and get in to build nests

ddawg16 10-01-2012 10:48 AM

I've used both.

I think the choice depends on where the outlet will be. If it's going to be up high where you can't run into it with your body...flapper is better. If it's down low, the hood over the flapper sticks out and is subject to damage (especially with my kids). In that case, I think the louver is better.

md2lgyk 10-02-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Baughman (Post 1020877)
Would like to know the diference between an External wall mounted dryer
vent & a External wall mounted bathroom vent.

Besides the louvers vs. flapper, bathroom and dryer vents are almost always different sizes. The typical bathroom vent is 3" diameter, while every dryer vent I've ever seen is 4" diameter. There are 4" diameter bathroom vents (I have them), but my fans are far upscale from the $10 Broan units you typically see.

ddawg16 10-02-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md2lgyk (Post 1021816)
Besides the louvers vs. flapper, bathroom and dryer vents are almost always different sizes. The typical bathroom vent is 3" diameter, while every dryer vent I've ever seen is 4" diameter. There are 4" diameter bathroom vents (I have them), but my fans are far upscale from the $10 Broan units you typically see.

Oh, you mean those white ones that sound like a P51 taking off?

Yea....mine is 4" as well...quiet enough that you can't hear it over the noise of the shower.....or if your even in the hallway. Had to install a occupancy sensor seeing how my kids (and wife) have not learned how to turn off lights.

mae-ling 10-02-2012 11:07 AM

Even got ones with a styrofoam ball in them, seals of the cold winter winds.

Gary in WA 10-02-2012 11:55 PM

Use a Type "A" rather than "B" for 50% more air flow: http://www.appliance411.com/faq/dryer-vent-length.shtml

The louvers tend to collect wet lint better, I've found.

Test of different types: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFOHGVhmyQA

Gary
P.S. Welcome to the forums!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.