Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #1

Share |

bathroom vent leaking cold air

My house in the builders infinite wisdom has the bathroom vents ran to the outside soffits. they do not however have a vent on them they just ran the flex duct to the soffit to blow down it....

its gotten much colder out and as of yesterday I could feel cold air leaking out the bahtroom vent, the dampers inside the vents are closed, but they do not seal completely as most inside dampers dont it seems like (at least all the Broan, panasonic ones ive touched didnt)

the long term goal is to get either roof vents or side vents for these that have full close dampers so wind and cold air can't infiltarate them..

is there any short term (say for this winter) solutions to this? I was thinking maybe just putting an outside vent damper on them and putting them back where they are now (like a round soffit vent damper that points down and out of the soffit as a temp solution)

I know soffit venting can create mold, rot issues and other things, but this was built like this and I just need a temporary solution for winter so this can get a perminate fix in the summer

thanks!

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote