Bathroom Vent Leaking - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

bathroom vent leaking

I'm having a problem with my bathroom vent leaking water when it's running. Posted on here before about it and everyone figured it was not enough insulation around the vent in the ceiling. packed as much up there as i could and it still leaked. So i went in the attic to investigate and there was big chunks of snow and ice "climbing" up the side of the piping. I felt around and found that the insulation that surrounds the pipe was wet. This led me to believe that it was not sealed properly. To fix this i pulled the whole ceiling down, (i wanted to pull the popcorn off the ceiling too so i figured this would be easier) and sealed everything up properly. I put the drywall up. Went to have a bath today, (i figured that would be better than showering seeing as the drywall isn't mudded or painted yet.) and the darn thing started pouring water out of it again. Probably a cup of water.

My setup
100 cfm fan vented up through the roof with a flexible plastic insulated tube thing. (its like a dryer vent with insulation around it then plastic around that.) the goes to the roof with a little flapper thing. (sorry im not very technical)

So i'm thinking this isn't really that big of a problem becouse it's just water that previously froze to the inside of the pipe that unthawed due to the heat from the shower. And this is unavoidable seeing as it's so bloody cold out (feels like -44 degrees celcius last night) and there's no way to stop the cold to get into there.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

listo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #2

bathroom vent leaking

oh and i forgot to mention this was the first time it was ran since the repair.
So maybe it's just old condensation melting off for a one time leak????

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

bathroom vent leaking

LISTO,

Before anything else search here for popcorn ceiling issues and possible asbestos. Even if you're done review this info to be safe going forward.

What depth of insulation R value and type or do you have in the attic, what type and does it cover the insulated flex pipe.

You are talking -C so you are in a cold zone, eh ?

The heat from below may have THAWED the previous frozen content but if your pipe is properly insulated and running at the right plane you should not be getting this much buildup
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #4

bathroom vent leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist1961 View Post
LISTO,

Before anything else search here for popcorn ceiling issues and possible asbestos. Even if you're done review this info to be safe going forward.
already done but ill take a gander

Quote:
What depth of insulation R value and type or do you have in the attic, what type and does it cover the insulated flex pipe.
I believe it's R20 there's some pink and some white stuff. and its 2 batts deep, I ripped some other stuff up so as to cover it a little more.

Quote:
You are talking -C so you are in a cold zone, eh ?
ya -C bloody cold the last couple days

Quote:
The heat from below may have THAWED the previous frozen content but if your pipe is properly insulated and running at the right plane you should not be getting this much buildup
The right plane? It just goes straight up into the roof. I think its R4 around the pipe but I'm not too sure.