Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Bathroom Vent Fan Price

Hello-
I recently had a contractor come out to my house to install a first floor bathroom exhaust fan as well as to vent it outside the house. The room above it is a bedroom. The quote is $450.00. Is it a good price?
"
Supply and install exhaust fan in bath tie into existing bath light and vent out side and
patch holes"

Thank you in advance.

phillysfinest4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,104

Bathroom Vent Fan Price

Little late now to ask.
How many prices did you get before having him do the job?
No one can see your house from here, know how many storys or what the pitch is on the roof, did they have to run wiring, add a switch or even know what area you live in, so it's hard to say.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Bathroom Vent Fan Price

I wasn't clear, the work has not been started nor even agreed upon, its just a quote before I move forward. I got 3 prices, everyone else I called didn't even call me back. Its a first floor bathroom so it will be vented through the side wall. The electrial can just be jumped from the light switch.
phillysfinest4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 568

Bathroom Vent Fan Price

I bid a job, 2 bathrooms not enough ventilation. Bought 2 110 cfm Brone fan vents. in attic saw no vent pipe and fan exhausting into 18" of insulation.Higher end house,builder cutting corners.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,030

Bathroom Vent Fan Price

It sounds very reasonable to me, but I am assuming you have no fan now. Is this true? or are we talking about a replacement? The reason I ask is that he has to pull Romex to the fan location, and cut in a wall cap, and run flue pipe. Does the price include repairing and painting the drywall he has to cut out or is this on you? Are you in Philly?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,788

Bathroom Vent Fan Price

Since this is a DIY site. Contractor estimate questions are not good questions to ask.

"How much will it cost?" Asking for price estimates here.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Roofmaster

Bathroom Vent Fan Price

If you could give us a bit more info, that would help to at least allow us to judge how much work it is, and how long it would take. Repairing drywall takes time

Old 03-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,230

Bathroom Vent Fan Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
If you could give us a bit more info, that would help to at least allow us to judge how much work it is, and how long it would take. Repairing drywall takes time
Not that long to repair. A proper drywall repair can be done two days. First replace, tape & mud, let dry, sand, second coat let dry. Second day, sand, prime, paint, and done.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
Roofmaster

Bathroom Vent Fan Price

I always apply at least three coats. Maybe you are better than me at it. I always use the green top can too though which dries slower. You cant see my repairs when I'm done.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,368

Bathroom Vent Fan Price

Pricing questions are never easy to answer here-----If the contractor and the customer are satisfied--then the price was fair!

I believe that price sounds right from here-----
Old 03-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #11
Professional Wood Shafter

Rewards Points: 150

Bathroom Vent Fan Price

Tear down old ceiling, install fan and 4" duct line and exhaust vent cap outside. Fish electrical wire down to switch location and change light switch to a double box, install new drywall ceiling, tape, paint.. for $450?? CHEAP
ryanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,230

Bathroom Vent Fan Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanh View Post
Tear down old ceiling, install fan and 4" duct line and exhaust vent cap outside. Fish electrical wire down to switch location and change light switch to a double box, install new drywall ceiling, tape, paint.. for $450?? CHEAP
Doubt it would be a complete tear off. If you know what you are doing, it is a very small repair. Figure if the joists above are 16 o/c, you would have a section that wide, then a few sections along the way to help pull the duct work over to the outside wall.

Where the fan would go, the spot again would only be as large as the fan. For the wiring, again, just need to cut a few spots depending on how large of a room, but usually with Fish sticks, you can do it with one hole for the fan, and the hole next to the wall, so you can pull the wire up and over the top plate.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote