Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom vent damper staying open

I have a bathroom vent that was just pouring cold air into the house this week, took the vent apart to get inside, used my neat little IR cam to see where the cold was coming in, and coldest spot was where the duct connects... looked at it and the little damper that flaps open and closed on its own by air pressure was wide open.. and it seems to stay where ever you push it to... it doesnt want to just fall back down like it should to stop air flow when you push it up and let go of it...

is there anything I can do to make this move easier? any lubricants or anything? its just a plastic vent to duct adapter that fits the square output of the vent to convert it to 4" flex duct...

now the true problem is the fact that the end of the duct doesnt have an exit vent with a backflap on it..... the smart builders just ran a flex duct into the soffit and ended it there.... *rolls eyes* that fix to come in the future, right now I just need to figure out how to get this backflow damper to close on the fan end of this...

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
I have a bathroom vent that was just pouring cold air into the house this week, took the vent apart to get inside, used my neat little IR cam to see where the cold was coming in, and coldest spot was where the duct connects... looked at it and the little damper that flaps open and closed on its own by air pressure was wide open.. and it seems to stay where ever you push it to... it doesnt want to just fall back down like it should to stop air flow when you push it up and let go of it...

is there anything I can do to make this move easier? any lubricants or anything? its just a plastic vent to duct adapter that fits the square output of the vent to convert it to 4" flex duct...

now the true problem is the fact that the end of the duct doesnt have an exit vent with a backflap on it..... the smart builders just ran a flex duct into the soffit and ended it there.... *rolls eyes* that fix to come in the future, right now I just need to figure out how to get this backflow damper to close on the fan end of this...
Do you have attic access? the plastic adapter may not be properly snapped onto the vent housing and may be out of square, causing the damper to stick open. It maybe just a matter of reseating the adapter.

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clashley View Post
Do you have attic access? the plastic adapter may not be properly snapped onto the vent housing and may be out of square, causing the damper to stick open. It maybe just a matter of reseating the adapter.
yep, I do, I went up took it off put it back on and same thing, sticks open
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote