Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Fan

My bathroom fan is dripping water. I'm aware of problems with uninsulated air ducts going thru the attic, combined with cold weather; however, I live in a condo and there is no cold zone attic that my air duct goes through.

I'm on the 2nd floor of a 12 floor high rise. There is concrete between each level and my bathroom ceiling is gyprock. There is approximately 1 foot of space between the ceiling gyprock and the concrete above. The fan air duct runs horizontally to an external wall; approximately 13 feet. The aluminum air duct is not insulated. It's a two room fan design that ventilates the bathroom and kitchen.

Any ideas how to rectify this problem? I'm thinking the fan itself is crap and needs replacing. This could pose a problem though, because the fan casing is mounted to the concrete above the gyprock. I see no way of removing it without tearing down some gyprock, which could be a costly project just to replace a fan.

Last edited by Teenwolf; 10-18-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Teenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #2

Bathroom Fan

A junk fan would not cause dripping water by itself - I think you're barking up the wrong tree by thinking of replacing it. Is the problem cold-weather related, or does it happen all year round? If you don't have a backdraft damper, or a malfunctioning one, cold air could be coming backwards through your duct + cooling the aluminum air duct enough to cause condensation when you run the fan.

One way to fairly easily fix this is to make sure the duct slopes towards the outside instead of toward the fan.

teststrips is offline   Reply With Quote