Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom Exhaust questions

I just purchased a house and the two bathrooms are back to back. One of these has a vent that just goes straight into the attic (no ducting). The other bathroom doesn't have a vent. I'm going to install a vent in that bathroom, but I'm wondering if I can combine the fans into a single exhaust point.

They are back to back against one wall so a soffit style exhaust would be the closest way out and seems like the easiest to install. Are there any exhaust vents that have dual connections? I know a T fitting is out because it would just push air from one vent to the other, but what about a Y connector? Would it be better to go straight up about 5 feet and exhaust through the roof?

The attic also has 2 triangular shaped vertical vents (approx 4 ft wide and 3ft tall) that have a screen on the inside and louver style wood strips on the outside. Could I just connect the vents to the screen with foil tape to vent them outside? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by flashinm; 03-09-2013 at 10:24 PM.
flashinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Roofmaster

Triangular vents? Post some pictures. I would not combine vents, you will blow stink from one BR into the other.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashinm View Post
can combine the fans into a single exhaust point.
Fantech sells an inline fan with two ceiling grills.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Exhaust questions-fanexhaust.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Triangular vents? Post some pictures. I would not combine vents, you will blow stink from one BR into the other.
Looks like this. They're just passive vents that help cool the attic.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Sorry, I lost you. Those are called gable end vents. You dont say where you are from, but if you are in a region where it gets cold in the winter, you have to be concerned about condensation in the winter time. You want to keep the exhaust pipes from the bathroom on the warm side of the insulation, not hanging up in the attic like the illustration you have posted. The fans should exit out a wall cap in your side wall, not to your gable end vents.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #6

Panisonic as sells them.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Sorry, I lost you. Those are called gable end vents. You dont say where you are from, but if you are in a region where it gets cold in the winter, you have to be concerned about condensation in the winter time. You want to keep the exhaust pipes from the bathroom on the warm side of the insulation, not hanging up in the attic like the illustration you have posted. The fans should exit out a wall cap in your side wall, not to your gable end vents.
I live in Dallas so it's pretty mild in the winter, but it does get cold. Venting through the wall would require knocking out brick and is more than I want to tackle. Venting out an overhang vent seems like the easiest solution, but I'd rather only have to cut out one vent. I could elevate the portion of the duct that attaches to the fan just a little bit and have it go downhill toward the vent so any condensation would flow toward the vent. Or I could insulate the ducting somehow.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
Roofmaster

Sounds good. So I guess the fan pulls on both bathrooms at the same time. I like the remote fan to reduce noise. I have installed a few radon reduction systems with fans like this and you don't even know they are running.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Sounds good. So I guess the fan pulls on both bathrooms at the same time. I like the remote fan to reduce noise. I have installed a few radon reduction systems with fans like this and you don't even know they are running.
No, I'm talking about 2 fans that I want to join to one exhaust point either by cutting a hole in the roof, overhang or using the triangular vents already in place.