Bathroom Exhaust - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2015, 09:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 640

Bathroom exhaust

I have a house where the bathroom fan is venting through the furnace exhaust pipe. It has been like that for a several years and seems to be working. Is there a problem with this?

Advertisement

crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,336

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescere View Post
I have a house where the bathroom fan is venting through the furnace exhaust pipe. It has been like that for a several years and seems to be working. Is there a problem with this?
Yes, this is a big problem. The furnace exhausts carbon monoxide gas that kills people. If it doesn't kill them it can result in headaches, drowsiness and a few other maladies.
I would immediately disconnect the bath vent from the furnace and properly seal the hole. If you don't have the skill set, call someone in to do it.
Whoever did this is a moron.

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
properly seal the hole. If you don't have the skill set, call someone in to do it.
Whoever did this is a moron.
I have vented bath fans before, but how do I seal the hole in the furnace chimney?
Old 08-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 94

Having worked on a jobsite where the furnace was venting the exhaust directly into my workspace for over a month and we didn't know it, I can honestly tell you that you don't want carbon monoxide poisoning.

Interesting that you didn't notice any side effects over several years.
Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
I have vented bath fans before, but how do I seal the hole in the furnace chimney?
You can buy a piece of sheet metal and some high temperature sealant. Put a generous amount of sealant around the opening. Screw the sheet metal over the opening. Cover the screw heads with sealant. Caulk the edges of the sheet metal cover with sealant.
Hardware stores, plumbing supply stores or big box stores should have the materials.
Or
You can replace the part of the duct that has the hole in it.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:37 PM   #6

My bad! This is a rental property that I too quickly examined. Actually as I followed the vent pipe today I see it is exhausting into the main stack pipe of the house. The only other thing on this is the washing machine drain. The furnace pipe is close, but NOT affected by this. Is this okay?
Old 08-29-2015, 10:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Actually as I followed the vent pipe today I see it is exhausting into the main stack pipe of the house.
What does this mean? Are you saying the bath fan is going into the plumbing waste pipe, the same as the, "washing machine drain"?
What does, "main stack pipe", mean to you?
What material is it made of?
Can you take photos of this?

Last edited by Ron6519; 08-29-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
What does this mean? Are you saying the bath fan is going into the plumbing waste pipe, the same as the, "washing machine drain"? What does, "main stack pipe", mean to you?
The hose from the fan is going into the PVC pipe that has the washing machine drain attached. The PVC pipe goes up through the roof and outside. I am attaching a picture that is meant to highlight the kitchen, but you can see the PVC pipe on the right. The bath fan meets it above in the attic.

Sorry for the confusion, but I am still learning a lot here.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom exhaust-3.jpg  
Old 08-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #9
Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,278

HVAC vents/flues, exhaust fan vents and plumbing vents are separate systems and should not at any time be connected together. You need to remove the fan exhaust from the plumbing vent
Old 08-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
HVAC vents/flues, exhaust fan vents and plumbing vents are separate systems and should not at any time be connected together. You need to remove the fan exhaust from the plumbing vent
Thank you for the response. Is there any danger to how it is now? It has been like this for several years. There is no smell of sewer gas in the bathroom.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:19 AM   #11

[QUOTE=crescere;2419257]. Is there any danger to how it is now? /QUOTE]

Sewer gas(methane) is explosive in high enough concentrations. Does that constitute a, "danger" in your mind?
It's also against the plumbing code for some reason. Oh yeah, it explodes.

Advertisement