Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Bathroom Ducting with Relation to Exhaust Fan

Hello,

I got great help from the plumbing part of this forum and I'm hoping to get some help from all the HVAC experts out there.

First of all I'm up in cold Montreal, and my house has central natgas heating and electrical AC.

I gutted and combined my basement bathroom and laundry rooms and I need to re-route the HVAC with as little aesthetic/functional compromise as possible.

FYI, as pictured the washer dryer area is on the far left of the picture against the outside wall. On the far wall, the toilet is on the left, sink in the middle, shower on the right. I stood in front of the doorway as I took this panorama picture.

In the old (poorly done DIY job) only the bathroom was heated, with the register in between the toilet and sink.

No returns in any area, and the old bathroom layout did not have an exhaust fan.

In my new setup, I am debating whether to put a register in the ceiling and run a new return near the floor, ceiling register w/o any return, run duct down to the floor for the supply with a floor level return, or floor level supply with no return.

Mind you I have never seen (or maybe never noticed) a return in a bathroom...

So here are my questions:
  • Which of the four options is recommended?
  • If floor level supply is the answer, can I downsize the 5" supply to a 4" to make routing easier?
  • If bringing down to floor level, where would you suggest I bring it down to in order to maximize efficiency and minimize bulkheads?
  • If I do leave the supply and register in the ceiling, is there concern about proximity to the 130cfm exhaust fan I plan to install?
  • If leaving in the ceiling, where should I put it?

The fan will most likely be installed above the sink so that it is midway between the shower and toilet.

Thanks for all your help!!

You can see the high resolution version here: http://i.imgur.com/VnGL7.jpg

illusion8055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion8055 View Post
Hello,

• 4" to make routing If floor level supply is the answer, can I downsize the 5" supply to a easier? YES
  • If bringing down to floor level, where would you suggest I bring it down to in order to maximize efficiency and minimize bulkheads? Under the window
  • If I do leave the supply and register in the ceiling, is there concern about proximity to the 130cfm exhaust fan I plan to install? A return air is not needed.
  • If leaving in the ceiling, where should I put it? Over the window
My opinions are in red.

illusion8055 (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #3

Wow, great timely reply!

All that being said, do you recommend going with the floor or ceiling route?
illusion8055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #4

Floor registers are always better for heating since natural convection and stratification will always keep a room warmer at the top. If the vent is at the floor it will disturb air flow on it's way up, if it's at the ceiling the air won't move around as much and stratification will be more noticable. But either way works, just depends on how much work you want to put into it. Keep in mind that if you add additional ductwork to re-locate the vent you also will diminish it's velocity.